1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

quality of cut question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flatlander42, Jan 12, 2010.

1. flatlander42

flatlander42 LawnSite Silver Member

Have any of you had ANY experience with this style of mower? Rear Engine Rider.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQoheZuSreA

I have a "project" that I want to use the deck off of a mower like this for. The only thing is that I'd like to be able to go about 7mph, and still do a good job. I don't want to get toooo deep into it and find out that the deck don't do worth a hoot. Soo, any information is Good Information!

Thanks

2. hornett22

hornett22 LawnSite Senior Member

they have a long blade.i don't think it will cut well over 2 MPH

3. flatlander42

Even if you speed things up? As in mount the motor to the rear and use pulleys to increase the blade speed...?

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If that you mowing, you have a lot to learn. :D

I wouldn't fool with it myself.

5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Had a couple of the snapper rear engine riders in the past. A 28" deck that gave a good cut at moderate speed with minimal growth. The 33" cut ok, but needed to run very slow to keep up with any thick grass and bogged often even at a snail's pace. It is probably the most common consumer mower around here though.

6. flatlander42

That was just a video I found to use as an example of the type of mower I was talking about. I don't have any videos of me mowing, but if ya look ya can find pics of what I have!

I will not be using anything but the deck. If it had more power do you think that it would be worth a shot? The grass I cut is mowed every week, so overgrown grass is not much of an issue.

7. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

elaborate with what your trying to do with the deck.

8. flatlander42

I want to try and make a "wing deck"/"flex deck" that would be off to the side of my 48" wakler. Thought of using a 21", but thought I'd give a little bit begger deck a try.