quality vs well known name

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
So I've been around awhile, I've quoted some postage size lawns at $30-$35 per mow. It includes mowing, trimming, edging and blowing each service. Now other companies that have been around a lot longer. They now weekly, trim when they feel like it, never edge. Blow sometimes, sometimes not. They have several crews. Most of thier decks are unlevel, blades appear dull. Employees seem like they are zombies. Out of 25 or so quotes I gave,4 told me they would rather have a well know name mowing. They told me my work several times better. Is it just a status thing? Longevity? I know they get 40-45 for postage stamps and go way up from thier, so I know its not price.

One thing that irretates me, it several of these decade old companies mow the same way every week rutting the piss out of the yard. Then they up sell a steam roller for thier lawns for 150 min. So how do you compete with that?
Posted via Mobile Device

williams lcm

LawnSite Bronze Member
What it is change. Alot of people get one lawn service and stay with it forever. They dont like change. I see it over and over again. The LCO usually starts of with good work but over time slacks off. Some customers can care less because they built a relationship with that LCO.AS long as they show up and mow they are good to go. Some customer don't really pay attention to a lawn edge nicely or not. They are too busy texting or playing on cell phones to really care about a properly edge or mowed lawn. Even having a low price will not get your foot in the door.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Bronze Member
I think there is some validity in the fact of people feel comfortable with well known names. Whether it is a status thing, piece of mind, or reluctance to change. Keep plugging and you will be the recognized name. I feel your pain, we are not what I would consider a large company in our community but we do strive to make each one of our customers happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
believe me i know exactly what you are talking about. most of the bigger companies around do sloppy work for sure. i think it's because the owner's no longer work or do very little of the work themselves and the guys they hired aren't exactly the cream of the crop. people just assume since it's a big company, charges alot, and has been around for decades that the company does the best job which is far from the truth.

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
I think it's all of the above, and-

The fact that there's so many fly by nighter's out there now, what with the economy doing so well and all:rolleyes:, that a lot of potential customers are afraid of hiring a new LCO for fear that they may not even be in business by the following month, and then they will have to shop around again. So.... they'd rather stick with who they're familiar and who is well established, and has been around for a while, than switch.

In other words- better the devil you know..............

OP
J

Jimslawncareservice

LawnSite Platinum Member
I guess I should have been a little more clear. These are all that are going to have thier mowing done from now on. They've never had another company mow before. But what I don't understand is why call me when they know I haven't been around for 10 years or more. I'm half there. There are 5 now that told me this. So have taken the time to meet with them, show some work, and show them stuff that current and past customers have written over the years and gave them numbers of residential and commercial customers to call. It's just Wierd. It looks like after your around for a while you can slack off and still get more than anticipated. Just seems backwards if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
this is one reason why residential mowing is a good thing for the long term. once you get a customer they pretty much stick with you. sure there are flaky people out there but i'd say at least 75% of them stick with you year after year after year. people don't like change. they like to call someone and hire them and then never have to worry about it again. they don't go around checking behind you and think about calling other companies for the next year. as long as they are satisfied with your work then at some point they just stop paying attention and trust that you will do a good job. they kindof say to themselves ok that's taken care of and they may never think about it again. over time if quality slacks off they won't even notice because they've gotten to a point where they trust you are doing a good job. even if you aren't. which is what is happening in this case.

i think most people don't realize that lawn mowing is constantly changing year to year. they just look at it as mowing the grass. they don't understand the mowers we have nowdays are alot better than a craftsman mower they used to cut their grass with. to them a mower is a mower. they all do the same thing. cut grass. they don't understand proper techniques of cutting grass or trimming or edging. the majority just sees it as the grass is tall and it's short after they leave so they cut it and did a good job.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I guess I should have been a little more clear. These are all that are going to have thier mowing done from now on. They've never had another company mow before. But what I don't understand is why call me when they know I haven't been around for 10 years or more. I'm half there. There are 5 now that told me this. So have taken the time to meet with them, show some work, and show them stuff that current and past customers have written over the years and gave them numbers of residential and commercial customers to call. It's just Wierd. It looks like after your around for a while you can slack off and still get more than anticipated. Just seems backwards if you ask me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe you are trying too hard. Are you "hard-selling" them? Too much information? Some guys go a little too far with the selling bit.

Maybe they just want a price in writing, and answer any questions they ask.

RLS24

LawnSite Bronze Member
It will come with time. I've been in business for 5 years now and people are really just starting to recognize my name as a serious contender. I always tell people that I am not the cheapest price they will find, but I take a lot of pride in my work and will be the highest quality and unlike a lot of the companies that I as the owner feel it is an important part of my business to actually be on-site and be involved with doing the work myself rather than sit at a desk all day. At that point I usually get the idea whether they are just looking for some cheap way to keep the lawn cut so the town won't cite them, or if they actually care about their yard they understand and appreciate the idea that I just threw out there. And as you said, some of your competition slacks off on a lot of the "detail work" so when you get a house in the same neighborhood they do, go the extra step with your detail work and after a while people will start to notice that the one yard that you cut over there looks better than the 5 other ones that the competition does....