Question about fertilizing rates of Rye & Bermuda in the winter

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Bluelude1, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I have about 30k sqft of LESCO Double. Eagle perennial dwarf rye grass over seeding Bermuda in loamy sand.

Been figuring about 1lb/sqft per month of nitrogen, but switching from quick release to Lesco's 28-3-10 w/ 50% slow release.

At 1lb/1k sqft per month I'd need ~9x 50lb bags.

Does that sound right for winter rye in North Texas 30-50 degree temps?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I figure about two bags per treatment(2 bags per month).
    That is a lot of nitrogen.
    Which months did you mean? February, March, April?
    Is this a football field? Golf course? Are you willing to mow twice per week?
    Irrigated?

You conditions are different from my conditions in the midwest. Local advice is better.

3. OP
    OP
    Bluelude1

Bluelude1 LawnSite Member

I figure it really boils down to whether rye needs the same 1lb/1k sqft of nitrogen every 4-6 weeks that is recommended for the bermuda ( going off of the bermuda recommendations from Waypoint Analytical).

Judging by how it responds to the nitrogen it probably does, but looking it its such a specific question I actually should probably be calling Lesco.

4. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure what look you are trying to achieve or how much work you want to put into it. I'm going for green and low maintenance. I don't plant perennial. My experience is with intermediate. I fertilize with ammonium sulfate when I sow and again in January. Somewhere between .5 and 1 lb per 1000sq'. It is light green but rarely needs mowed. Much over 1lb and I do a bunch more mowing. Temps here are similar around 30 night and 50s to 60s day.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Too much nitrogen. Excess growth, and excess clippings. But--local advice is better.

6. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I've been putting 19-0-5 20%xcu with prodiamine at about 225-250 lbs/acre on the overseeded baseball and softball fields I take care of. I'll probably hit them with some 32-3-8 in early April. This is in central Oklahoma.

7. envirocleanhouston

envirocleanhouston Banned

[​IMG]

This is Rye spoon fed with .45 N / .25 SOP during the middle of January. My nitrogen source is slow release Mesa like product with Iron and Micronutrients.