1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Question about lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by hawee, Jan 11, 2008.

1. hawee

hawee LawnSite Member

Hi
    I'm located in austin, and our fraternity house front lawn is just all dirt. I wanted to place grass in the front lawn to make it more appealing, but we do have events and parties where people will be on that lawn. Will this be a pointless try?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why there isn't any grass there now.

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

about how large is the area, in square feet- if you can guesstimate?

4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Hawee
    I have to assume it is also highly compacted. Efforts to cover it with sod or trying to seed a new lawn will not get long term results without relieving the compaction issues first. The roots will not be able to penetrate the soil and live for very long.

As I see it you have two options: relieve the compaction issues by rototilling the soil to a 6 to 8 inch depth and adding soil amendments then sod or seed or cover the entire area with mulch and forget trying to grow grass.

5. hawee

hawee LawnSite Member

The font lawn is about 14' x 30'.
    The ground is really solid and tough and we have some weeds growing.

Any other options.
    This part of the lawn pretty much is where a lot of people hang around during parties. We just need to find some solution to get rid of the dirt because when it rains it becomes muddy.

Any ideas.
    I appreciate the help.

Thanks

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

rock maybe? You could try sodding it so they don't kill the new grass, but even then I don't know how it will hold up to high traffic.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

How about making a new patio up there. Maybe a type of garden area w/ some seating.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

gravel or mulch.......... forget about grass

9. MassSteelerfan

MassSteelerfan LawnSite Member
    from Mass

You could try a ground cover, which needs little care and can take a beating once and a while.

10. Honeybee Texas

Honeybee Texas LawnSite Member