• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Question about measuring

ShooterK2

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm new to mowing for the public, and not very good at estimating distances. I've got, and plan on using, a measuring wheel. My question is: When you measure a property, do you measure the entire thing, then subtract for the buildings, driveways, etc.? Or do you measure the front yard, then the back, then the sides seperately? I don't want to cheat anyone, myself included. Just wondering what the standard procedure is.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Eyeball it and learn from your mistakes, you'll look the fool with that wheel,
nobody uses those things except maybe some new guy so throw that POS
in the garbage or hang it on the wall as a memento of elaborate thought.

Last edited:

starry night

LawnSite Platinum Member
Eyeball it and learn from your mistakes, you'll look the fool with that wheel,
nobody uses those things except maybe a few new guys so throw that POS
in the garbage or hang it on the wall as a memento of elaborate thought.
Yeh. It's kind of like the new golfer who goes out on the course with a pull-behind cart. Real golfers tote those bags.

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeh. It's kind of like the new golfer who goes out on the course with a pull-behind cart. Real golfers tote those bags.
That's it, so then you can tell from a mile away who the new guy is.
And it's not about being laughed at, believe me that's the least of your worries,
but like training wheels on a bicycle when you're running a business you just don't need that,
actually better off falling flat on your face a few times, harsh as that might sound.

You might want to start out by determining the size of some yards such as your own,
or those that are a part of your family, find out how big is your yard, don't worry about it
too much, why you bought the wheel, what if you get the size of a yard wrong, who cares?
Read: Everybody makes mistakes.

You can always ask the customer too but I wouldn't use that as a first method or only opinion.
No wheel now.

Last edited:

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
if i were going to measure a lawn for mowing i would measure the front, back and sides seperately.

but yes, throw that thing away or keep it as a momento. learn how to eye ball, thats pretty much what i did. i actually asked a friend of mine in the business what he charges then i called 3 places to get an estimate on my own lawn and then i kind of made an average. i've actually been told me i don't charge enough more than people complaining i charge to much.

this year i'm going to actually crunch my numbers and figure out my cost of doing business and see where i need to make adjustments.

hackitdown

LawnSite Gold Member
I use a wheel to measure for fert, or lawn seeding. So I measure only the lawn areas.

I divide the lawn into square or rectangular zones in my head. I measure length and width of each zone. Then I add up the sq footage of the zones.

Lawn size is important, but mowing involves many other time/labor factors besides lawn size. Trimming, edging, blowing, obstacles, parking access, hills, location, customer a-holeishness factor, and more.

OP
ShooterK2

ShooterK2

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the replies. I was afraid I might look kinda green, but I'm really not good with distances, and just don't wanna be the lowballer in town. Plus, I'm planning on doing gutters as well, and I read on here that folks charge by the linear foot. No way I can just estimate that in my head and get it right.......

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
there is nothing wrong with measuring with a wheel, i have no idea why anyone would encourage you to guess and not measure. now for mowing only,on small lawns, sure you can guess a bit casue you are going on time. but with everything else, an accurate measurement is key in many ways.