1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

question about parking in driveway (mechanical question)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by grass disaster, Apr 25, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i just picked up a brand new 8X16 trailer today. i was parking it in my driveway. when i take it our of park it sounds like it is straining the transmition quite a bit. !!CLUNK!!

i have a pretty steep driveway and i an not planning on parking at my house all the time.

my question is, is this hard on the tranny when i do this? could i get by with setting the e-brake before i put it in park?

by the way i have a chevy 3/4 hd 2001

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I always use the parking brake anytime I park on a significant incline. Helps to take the pressure off the parking pawl in the the tranny, and makes it a ton easier to shift into gear when you are ready to get moving again. Oh, and it will get rid of the nasty 'clunk' also. :D

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

yea all it is is theres alot of pressure on the trans due to the weight of the truck, my truck will do this whenever i park on a hill with out a trailer, I just press on the brake real hard and put it in gear and it doesn't allow the truck to shift, the e-brake will work too like said above.

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I would use the parking brake as well which I do loaded or not flat ground or not. The GM's do tend to have a clunky sounding tranny when shifting from park anytime though. My Allison does it too.