question about reselling firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood' started by brandonppr, Nov 7, 2012.

  1. brandonppr

    brandonppr LawnSite Member
    from tn
    Messages: 57

    I am wanting to sell wood bundles on my website. I have a large customer base that is very close and would like to take advantage of that and give this a shot. The plan is to buy from locals and resale as bundles.

    Would you ask the locals to write a receipt when you purchase from them?
  2. Gilmore.Landscaping

    Gilmore.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario
    Messages: 645

    Around here most people buy it by the Cord or Face Cord... usually this means its dumped in your driveway and you have to stack it. To me bundles are always very expensive and are only a last resort when your camping or something.
  3. Landscape Poet

    Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,638

    I would if you are a legitimate business that pays taxes. The reason is simple. You will show income from your sales...if you do not have proof that your had a cost associated with it when the IRS comes knocking....that would be considered pure profit and taxed as such. With the receipt you would have the ability to deduct YOUR purchase price as a expense of doing business just like any other supply.
  4. brandonppr

    brandonppr LawnSite Member
    from tn
    Messages: 57

    I want to give it a shot. I think I can sell it and only one way to find out. Worst case, I'll just use the wood myself.

    Makes sense, and yes I have a legitimate business that pays taxes. I'll make sure I get some sort of receipt when I purchase my supply.
  5. mtdenyer

    mtdenyer LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    In some states you MUST sell it in cord measurements. That is the case here in Florida. Even if you sell by the bundle, I would put it in a cord or face cord measurement. You could say 1/15th face cord bundle, or something to that affect. Most states list particular laws like that in their licensing and permitting pages on their websites.
  6. GreenI.A.

    GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,131

    MA is horrible with how we have to word our firewood sales. The state considers firewood a fuel, so it is regulated by the division of weights and measures like gas $ oil sales, but not as strictly enforced. Legally we have to sell it by the cubic foot. We can not use the words "cord", "face cord" , "piles", or "truck load". Instead we have to say 128 cu ft (instead if cord) , 42.66 cu ft (instead of facecord), or for example call it a "200 cu ft pile" or "100 cu ft small truck load". A guy called the state and complained because he ordered a "stacked cord", the state cameout and measured it. It measured out to 128cu ft. But it wasn't stacked tight enough so they estimated it to be only 100 cu ft. He was hit with a fine. They don't enforce it to regularly, but if someone complains then they will come knocking. I have also herd of them trolling craigslist and newspapers looking for people advertising. They won't spend much time investigating, but if your add has enough business info listed and they can find you in the system easily, then there is a good chance you get fined.
  7. Middle Tennessee Lawn

    Middle Tennessee Lawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 220

    I always thought it interesting how varies around country in Tennessee most will question whats a cord? But ask them what a rick is and they will tell you immediately stack of wood 4'high x 8'long some cut wood 16" long some 18" and others 20or so. But here wood is usually sold in ricks however lately people are selling by truckload a way to charge rick price and sell customer about 2/3 of rick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page