1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Question about selling accounts along with equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Feb 28, 2011.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I can figure out what to sell equipment for but how about accounts? Is there a formula for what to charge or is it whatever you can get? I've heard of using anywhere from one year's gross to 50% of one year…………..to nothing.

I know there is no guarantee the customers will stay but I would think that current customers are worth something.

Thank you

2. Clark Griswold

Clark Griswold LawnSite Senior Member

Another LCO bites the dust?

I mostly hear it's one or two weeks mowing cost, not much!

3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Need more information. Number of accounts. Gross sales.

4. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have contract accounts then you will more than likely not get much for them. If they were contracts, you should expect to get anywhere from 2-4 months contract rate for the account, assuming they sign for a year with the new guy. The equipment would be a toss up and depend on the purchasers needs. I bought 2 companies in the past 3 years. Bought 12 accounts for 2 months contracts and bought 3 for 6 month payments ( very very nice accounts and 3 year contracts.) I did not purchase any mowers, but did take all their handheld equipment.
    hope this helps
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I am in the process of purchasing another company out right now. None of the accounts have a contract in place except for 1. There are about 45 accounts. There is no wrong way or right way to purchase or sell a business. Usually the price comes out to be around 20-30% of the gross revenue over a set amount of time.

For my adventure Im doing 1 year at 25%. But im not just giving them cash. Up front im putting down 1000, with an 80% rentention rate on these accounts im expecting to do about 40 accounts and hopefully around 60,000 out of the accounts gross revenue. What I am doing is going to give him 1k initiallaly, then for 6 months pay him 3.5% of the revenue, which totals to be 21%. that totals up to $13600, my final payment would be $1400, and he will have earned 25%.

This way works out in favor for both parties. If you dont make money, then your not out a bunch of money on purchasing accoutns, and as a seller, youre bringing in extra cash the more he sells. So if he does 75K you get about 19k for the lot.

I think this way is the only way you can do this properly when there are no contracts in place though.