• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Question about spraying in PA

white stone lawn care

LawnSite Member
I'm considering getting my commercial applicator's license for pesticides in Pennsylvania. My question is about something I found while doing research. I found this quote on the PSU website. To become certified as a commercial or public applicator, you must pass two written examinations (Core and Category) and be employed by a pesticide application business. Does this mean literally you have to be employed by an existing business? Therefore prohibiting someone from starting their own business. Thanks for any imput you can give me.

UpNorth

LawnSite Member
I'm considering getting my commercial applicator's license for pesticides in Pennsylvania. My question is about something I found while doing research. I found this quote on the PSU website. To become certified as a commercial or public applicator, you must pass two written examinations (Core and Category) and be employed by a pesticide application business. Does this mean literally you have to be employed by an existing business? Therefore prohibiting someone from starting their own business. Thanks for any imput you can give me.

It's very simple. When you take the test, they will ask you what company. You tell them yours. When you pass the test. They will give your business a License, and you will also get a personal license as well.

When you go take your test, just tell the instructor what the deal is, and he'll explain the exact details. Take 2 checks with you. Because if I recall you need to pay one fee for the business license and one for the personal. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

And don't worry about the test, it's sorta a joke (we'll I thought so) the "closed book" part my 6 year old could get half of them right, The "Core" portion is open book if needed. In fact, I was so surprised how easy it was, I don't even worry about getting my credits to keep it active. When my personal expires I go take the test again. (hope the stae doesn't see this post and make the test harder!! haha, or even better, I'll end up failing next time!)

But the answer is, no you don't have to be employed by a business, but you will need your tax id number and proof of insurance(i think it's $500K liability minimum) WITH a pesticide endorsement.