Question about spraying shrubs and beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by xtremelawn, Jan 18, 2008.

  1. xtremelawn

    xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA
    Messages: 110

    I have only been offering a fertilization and weed control program. I have had quite a few customers ask about a shrub and bed program. Can someone help me with a program? "Fertilizer, Weed Control, Insect, And Diease"
    I have been doing some research and noticed alot of these chemicals require alot more water per 1000 sq ft "Some up to 10 Gal" Does this mean i can not do this with a back pack sprayer?

    What are the best products to use?

    Also for prerimator pest control "Talstar One" is this o.k. done with a back pack sprayer?

    Sorry for so many questions :confused:
  2. Tony DiMauro

    Tony DiMauro LawnSite Member
    Messages: 8

    Just get with your chemical provider in Ft. Worth who I assume may be Lesco / JDL. The service center manager will create a tree and shrub program for you. Depending on the size of your properties, in most cases you will need at least a fifty gallon pressurized sprayer. Using a backpack sprayer will not only be somewhat ineffective getting the chemical where it needs to be, but very labor intensive continually having to fill it! - Hope that help!
  3. LawnTamer

    LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,986

    I would separate those into 3 different services. Bed weed control/pre-em, insect control, and disease control. You are going to need to do some studying here. I don't know what kind of insect and disease pressure you have there. Here our main problems come from mites, aphids, and root weevil. There are a dozen other bugs which cause occasional damage. We see a lot of powdery mildew, this is remedied by cultural practice as much as anything else, but there are a few blights and fungi that we treat occasionally.

    I would consider getting a structural certification if you are going to do perimeter sprays, many states require it, and in many it is considered a "gray area" meaning that one inspector might let you off with you Turf and Orn. license while another will throw the book at you.
  4. xtremelawn

    xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA
    Messages: 110

    I guess there is a lot more to learn than what i thought. This seems like a lot to learn on my own. How do you recommend i learn it? Is there a class or somewhere you know of to get training?

    As for the perimeter pest control i don't want to get in any trouble from structural. Even though i have no intent of every spraying the inside of homes
    i will have to get training and take the test for something i will never use.:cry:


Share This Page