Question about starting LCO

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wacaweed, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. wacaweed

    wacaweed LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    I have a name I want and know that no one else has it here but what is the next step. Can I just make some buisness cards up with the name or what. what is it I need to do to retain this name and use it. Thanks all Joe
  2. wmcrum6

    wmcrum6 LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio
    Messages: 12

    Names, trademarks, etc are registered throught your secretary of State office. Many states have now placed this service on line. In Ohio you can go online and do a "quick search" to see of your name has been used. An application for your name can be downloaded (in Ohio) and you mail fifty bucks . It is recommended that you select 2-3 names , in case someone else has used the name. You should not spend a lot of money on advertising until you have reserced your trade name. Additionally, you should reserve your name before you set up a LLC or any other type of company. Alll this business stuff takes time, but it pays off in the long run. It also legitimizes things with the government and seperates your business form a hobby. Good Luck
  3. wacaweed

    wacaweed LawnSite Member
    Messages: 86

    I went and got my business license and went to the County clerks office to register my business name is that the same as the state.
  4. E&MLandscapeServices

    E&MLandscapeServices LawnSite Member
    Messages: 40

    Not usually. When you get your business license/permit, that is to allow you to set up and conduct business in that county or city. When you register with the Secretary of State, they take you through the process of determining if you need to open a withholding account with your states dept of revenue (if you have employees), if you need workers comp, etc. You also register your 'agent' of due process; someone to accept a summons on your behalf (it can be you or your lawyer or whomever your designate) in the event that your company is sued, etc. Normally, if someone from out of state sues you, they can serve the secretary of state for your state and then that office will get the summons to you. It basically sets you up to conduct business in the state. You also have to determine what type of company you are starting - sole proprietorship, partnership, corp s, etc. Check your states website (ie: to determine if you need to register with the secretary of states office.

    Also, check to see if you must have a contractors license. If you do, then you will need one for each city/county you perform work.

    If you plan on having employees, you will need to submit an SS-4 to the IRS to obtain an EIN/TIN (taxpayer identification number - basically, a social security number for a company).

Share This Page