Question about walking speed

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slippednfell, Feb 6, 2004.

1. OP
    OP
    slippednfell

slippednfell LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments, Charlies (and everyone else, of course). I didn't know that a 36" deck won't fit through a 3' gate, and that's a pretty significant issue. You also touched on something that worried me from the moment a dealer showed me a jungle wheels sulky. I saw the words "reverse jackknife" written all over that thing. I've seen some posts here that suggest a fixed, two-wheel sulky is better in reverse, and I'm thinking about one of those because I've never been on a sulky at all.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to slow down when you zero turn to if you are going 7mph you'll be going 000000 in a hurry

3. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow with mowers that go 4.2 miles per hour as their top speed. At the beginning of the day I could go a little faster. At the end of the day when I am tired it's plenty fast. This is coming from someone who has run marathons.

4. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, you certainly won't be "walking" behind one at top speed - maybe running, but not walking.

I have a Ferris 36" dual hydro and I love it for it's maneuverability in tight spaces. I don't think a sulky would work for me though due to how often I need to reverse in tight quarters. I've seen guys who thump their chests and boast that they only make money going forward while ridiculing anyone for needing reverse. Those guys are usually the ones with belt drives though who don't get the benefit of effortless maneuvering and/or they work wide open rectangles, unlike the winding, sloping nightmares that I cut.

I know you can flip the sulky up into the storage position and just walk the tight areas, but I'm short, and my arms aren't long enough to allow me to stand far enough back while operating the machine. I've watched where my legs go as I walk, and I'd be banging my shins into the stored sulky like that. I don't know how easy it would be to pop it on/off the machine entirely - that may be an option.

I've not found many gates I can't get through with it. None actually. That's why I bought such a small walk behind in the first place and honestly, if I had to do it again, I wouldn't have wasted money on a small walk behind - I'd have gotten a larger deck and either not accepted lawns with gates, or picked up a 30" for the very few gates I do encounter.
    What works for me though may not work for the next guy.
    Good luck with everything!

5. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the 36 is the best choice with a 2 wheel fixed sulky. They are quite wide and will make turning and close trimming a pain. I'd go with a single wheel or a 2 wheel that trails like a trailer. The Toro Tru track sulky is the best there is, but a 48" would be the minimum Deck I'd use it with. If this is your prime and only mower, pick a light weight easy to store/remove sulky.

6. Lawntkd

Lawntkd LawnSite Member

I have a 36 with a sulkey. Its not fixed...and reverse isnt that much of an issue when you get used to it. It does want to pull to one side or the other in reverse and jackknife but, you just kind of "skateboard" it.

7. EricM

EricM LawnSite Member

We run 36 to 60 inch ex mark walk behinds with sulkies. Like everyone else has said you will not be mowing and walking at 7mph youd be lucky if you could keep up running. Another thing is if your new to these types of mowers watch out because they can get away from you in a hurry! Seen many guys go for a ride with one.