Question: Do edgers save time and should I be using one?

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey,

I'm trying to cut lawns as efficiently as possible. I'm noticing that edging sidewalks and walkways are taking me a long time. Currently I just hold my trimmer upside down to do the job.

I attached a couple pictures. One shows a walkway where I've edged one side and not yet the other. The second picture shows what the whole yard looks like afterwards with all the edging done.

I'm thinking an edger would speed this process up and look nicer too. What do you guys think? What kind of edger is best? I see the edgers that attach to the end of a weed-wacker, and then I also see the serious edgers that are pushed along and have a 4-stroke engine and wheels and such.

Thoughts?

View attachment 324891

View attachment 324893
Edging with a blade seperates the professionals from everybody else.

Chineau

LawnSite Member
23 thanks for pointing out it is a old thread, I have learned to look but slip some times.
I have a edger for one of my combi units, if you think you will be doing a lot of edging invest in the best unit you can find.
my observation after 11 seasons you use it to set up the property but after that mostly string trimmer maintenance.
something to watch for with the combi units burning out power head and the new ones don't work with old attachments :realmad:

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
Edging with a blade seperates the professionals from everybody else.
Or it just separates those that can’t provide a quality edge from a basic line trimmer at a reasonable speed. In that thought process, using an edge is like putting a set of training wheels on a bike. Once you learn to ride in a straight line without them, it’s no different.

I would say my guys use the edge on a new home for the first 1-2 mows to
Get the sidewalks in shape. After that it’s line trimmer. I might loose 2-3% quality. But we save 10% time. And our pricing is based on that time savings. If we had to use an edger every time the price would go up, which would make it harder to sell work because we are already top of market.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
Or it just separates those that can’t provide a quality edge from a basic line trimmer at a reasonable speed. In that thought process, using an edge is like putting a set of training wheels on a bike. Once you learn to ride in a straight line without them, it’s no different.

I would say my guys use the edge on a new home for the first 1-2 mows to
Get the sidewalks in shape. After that it’s line trimmer. I might loose 2-3% quality. But we save 10% time. And our pricing is based on that time savings. If we had to use an edger every time the price would go up, which would make it harder to sell work because we are already top of market.
At our employees meeting just last Monday I brought up this topic. I emphasized that we always use a blade edger along concrete. I had an employee last year who thought he knew better then me. Destroyed some edging that now I have to fix. I will share some pics next week.

Im sure your line trimmer edging is beautiful.

Lawnmowerguy23

LawnSite Member
I've been using a string trimmer for about 7-8 years now and I think my edging is pretty good but I tend to go too fast and I have to back up and go back over something that didn't get cut the first pass. And sometimes the string gets pulled into the lawn and it looks bad. I've seen some people worse than me and some people better. I know edger looks better though

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I can edge with a string trimmer just fine, but a blade edger is faster, more precise, less likely to cause damage and all of that with less energy expended.
Now If I have just a short section to edge I'll use the string trimmer simply to save time but most of my yards have concrete driveways and sidewalks (and often times beds) that need to all be edged and in that case the amount of time it takes to switch tools does not keep me on the property longer than it does to do it with a string trimmer plus I'm not as tired when it's done and it looks better all in less time.
It's a no brainer for me in my area.

grass man 11

LawnSite Senior Member
At our employees meeting just last Monday I brought up this topic. I emphasized that we always use a blade edger along concrete. I had an employee last year who thought he knew better then me. Destroyed some edging that now I have to fix. I will share some pics next week.

Im sure your line trimmer edging is beautiful.
i guess I don’t understand “destroyed some edging “. Like he over cut the grass? It fills back in

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Everyone thinks edging with a trimmer is a good idea until you pick up rocks and hurl them into an expensive window, vehicle or someone’s eye.
Wait til your insurance company finds out you were using a tool the wrong way for something it wasn’t designed for, hope no one Sue’s you and gets a hold of that information.
It’s a bad idea waiting to happen.

the key to risk management is using the tool/material/item to manufactures specifications and recommendations according to industry standard and proper training, what happened was an “accident”

cutting corners, inventing your own ways of doing things or altering acceptable use of anything opens doors for “negligence” that are better left closed.