Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 6 month old exmark turf tracer that i bring in because the weld on the front left castor broke thus leaving the wheel unusable. how would you remedy the situation? just want to see if my dealer is in line with proper procedures. i'll post what my dealer did later today. thanks for responses.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dont deal in Exmark, but would prolly check with the tech. dept. and see if it would be something they could warranty.

If not I would probably order a new one. Assuming we are talking about the wheel. Not really sure what is broke, would like to see a pic.

·
Registered
958 Posts
We'd have to see fully what part broke. Speaking as a repairer we often find we are not told lies, just not told the truth:hammerhead:. Did the wheel/castor brake while just mowing grass or mounting a kerb?. Over the years I've had so many bent crankshafts that just damaged themselves while cutting the grass it's unreal.
While it may well be a manufacturing fault. You have to realise we hear so many tales of woe.
Good luck and I hope the repair was done to your satisfaction.
atb Phil :usflag:

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We'd have to see fully what part broke. Speaking as a repairer we often find we are not told lies, just not told the truth:hammerhead:. Did the wheel/castor brake while just mowing grass or mounting a kerb?. Over the years I've had so many bent crankshafts that just damaged themselves while cutting the grass it's unreal.
While it may well be a manufacturing fault. You have to realise we hear so many tales of woe.
Good luck and I hope the repair was done to your satisfaction.
atb Phil :usflag:
i was mowing going around a tree when i hit something that started making a loud noise. turns out it was the left castor. it had broke apart from the weld. anyway, the dealer tried to wiggle out of the warranty. said it was common for those to break. i was like well, if they are common, how many do you keep on hand? they had zero. i finally got them to order a new one under warranty. keep in mind you cant easily cut grass without a wheel. they wouldnt give me a loaner, wouldnt even "rig" my castor back so i could use it. they wouldnt overnight the part, (i have to wait 7 days). i'm so frusterated with them right now. i've bought almost everything i own from them and this is how they treat me. to make me even more mad, they had a "stop in for a demo" sign so i know they could have given me a loaner. i'll be finding a new dealer after this episode.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
they wouldnt overnight the part, (i have to wait 7 days). i'm so frusterated with them right now. i've bought almost everything i own from them and this is how they treat me..
Did you offer to pay for overnight shipping? If so, and they still refused, call Exmark directly, as Exmark does (did) have a policy on being able to get parts overnight or THEY pay the shipping.

to make me even more mad, they had a "stop in for a demo" sign so i know they could have given me a loaner. i'll be finding a new dealer after this episode.
"Demo" means "Demonstration" which means you'll be shown how it operates and have it DEMONSTRATED to you. It does not mean "loaner" to give to some guy that breaks his only mower and isn't able to have a backup in his fleet. What's he supposed to do if you take that mower and while you have it he has 5 people come in wanting to see a demonstration and you have his demonstrator model? Do you go in to the grocery store and ask the people there doing product demos if you can take the thing they are showing home and use it for a while and then bring it back to them? Do you go to the big electronics store with your broken TV for repair and tell them you want to take their 60" plasma floor DEMO unit home so you can watch TV while your TV is being repaired?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you offer to pay for overnight shipping? If so, and they still refused, call Exmark directly, as Exmark does (did) have a policy on being able to get parts overnight or THEY pay the shipping.

"Demo" means "Demonstration" which means you'll be shown how it operates and have it DEMONSTRATED to you. It does not mean "loaner" to give to some guy that breaks his only mower and isn't able to have a backup in his fleet. What's he supposed to do if you take that mower and while you have it he has 5 people come in wanting to see a demonstration and you have his demonstrator model? Do you go in to the grocery store and ask the people there doing product demos if you can take the thing they are showing home and use it for a while and then bring it back to them? Do you go to the big electronics store with your broken TV for repair and tell them you want to take their 60" plasma floor DEMO unit home so you can watch TV while your TV is being repaired?
no remedy on your part? i guess you take the side of the dealer then? i didnt expect a loaner but i did expect them to do something about my problem and not leave me hanging like i'm *****ing about a 20 dollar hand tool. i laid out 7 grand on that stupid machine 6 months ago and they are trying to tell me its normal wear and tear and play me like some idiot. i'm sure i'm not the only one who would be pissed if they got treated like i did. looks like you treat your customers the same way. also, the t.v and the units at the grocery store arent my livelyhood, my mower is.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you had a Scag you would not have this problem!!
Really?? Funny because someone posted a similar post about a scag ZTR the other day with pictures showing where the frames keep braking......haha.

Here's the deal....

It's warrantied for 2 years......they should just fix it. Exmark pays them shop labor rate so i don't know what the problem is.....they are making money on it, unlike some other manufacturers that don't pay crap to the dealers.

Second, Any part in the world with an exmark part number can be shipped overnight. I would call exmark. Dealer is jerking you around. Unless of course you gave them a reason not to take care of you, then you would have no complaint. Seems like you were pretty reasonable about the situation though.

I would have probably just welded it to get you by, then ordered a new one and called you when it came in and replaced it.

By the way, all the dealers are being banned from lawnsite.........FYI. Guess they don't want them on here to help you guys when your own dealers won't.......cough cough

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really?? Funny because someone posted a similar post about a scag ZTR the other day with pictures showing where the frames keep braking......haha.

Here's the deal....

It's warrantied for 2 years......they should just fix it. Exmark pays them shop labor rate so i don't know what the problem is.....they are making money on it, unlike some other manufacturers that don't pay crap to the dealers.

Second, Any part in the world with an exmark part number can be shipped overnight. I would call exmark. Dealer is jerking you around. Unless of course you gave them a reason not to take care of you, then you would have no complaint. Seems like you were pretty reasonable about the situation though.

I would have probably just welded it to get you by, then ordered a new one and called you when it came in and replaced it.

By the way, all the dealers are being banned from lawnsite.........FYI. Guess they don't want them on here to help you guys when your own dealers won't.......cough cough
see, i thought that they could let me use one of their demo units until they got mine welded. i'm really not that hard to please but it just seemed that they didnt care about me at all. didnt even offer the overnight shipping or tell me about exmark's overnight shipping policy or nothing. oh well, i guess you live and learn. guess i'm gonna have to learn to weld. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Dealer is jerking you around. Unless of course you gave them a reason not to take care of you, then you would have no complaint. Seems like you were pretty reasonable about the situation though.
Personally, I dont think it matters what the guy did or didnt do so long as he purchased the mower, he should be taken care of. That would be a matter of dealer ethics IMHO and Im starting to think dealers are losing that.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
That would be a matter of dealer ethics IMHO and Im starting to think dealers are losing that.
Dealers may be getting tired of trying to stand to ethics because we keep getting flooded by these new "LCOs" that think we're a freaking Wal-Mart, that they can just bring something back that they bought, went out and used it improperly and then try to bring it back saying it doesn't work or "it just seized up" (funny though how it has a full tank of fresh mixed gas when you bring it in now, but when pulling the muffler, the piston is all scored up)

I am not saying the original poster is one of these people, I'm saying it's what we have started seeing in the last 3 years. Every guy and his dog are seen driving around town with a cardboard sign taped to their doors and a Murray lawn tractor and Craftsman push mower in the back of their truck, and they expect us to drop everything to replace the freakin deck belt on the Murray so they can go make more beer money. Or like the guy that I saw today, who I recognize as somebody that thinks he's supposed to come ahead of others.. walking out of the Pawn Shop with a maroon PoulanPro blower that I'm sure we'll see in a few days when he can't keep it running. I'll just send him back over to his pawn shop.

And if LS is planning on banning all "non sponsor" dealers, they better take a good look around at all of the other sponsors on LS and ask themselves where THOSE equipment companies would be if they didn't have dealers that were willing to take on their equipment lines to sell and then catch the flaq when something happens with equipment the dealer never touched on the assembly line.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It sounds like the mower may have been abused a little bit, I have never seen this happen on a Exmark walk. If it was a questionable warranty repair I would have had the customer pay for the repair and then file a contested warranty. If exmark paid us I would credit the customers account. Exmark does not pay shipping on warranty repairs, so If it needed to be overnight that would be the customers responsibility. I would have ordered the part and either welded the old one to get buy or robbed it off a new machine in stock.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like the mower may have been abused a little bit, I have never seen this happen on a Exmark walk. If it was a questionable warranty repair I would have had the customer pay for the repair and then file a contested warranty. If exmark paid us I would credit the customers account. Exmark does not pay shipping on warranty repairs, so If it needed to be overnight that would be the customers responsibility. I would have ordered the part and either welded the old one to get buy or robbed it off a new machine in stock.
nope, not abused at all. i never curb jump. i always find a handicap ramp to get up and over. its my only machine and i take very good care of it. if i didnt have it rigged up already, i would take a picture of the castor and you would see exactly what went wrong. the weld just came loose. now i'm not as big a spender at my dealer as some people but i figured over 15k in 6 years should qualify me as a loyal customer. atleast thats what i thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.