Question for Members in Colder climates

starry night

LawnSite Fanatic
My apologies to you Irrigation guys. When I answered the question, I didn't pay attention that it was in Professional Discussions. I try to stay away from areas
outside of my expertise. I only noticed the general question about freezing.

OP
RhettMan

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
My apologies to you Irrigation guys. When I answered the question, I didn't pay attention that it was in Professional Discussions. I try to stay away from areas
your participation is very much appreciated.

Your answer, I thought, was professional.

Welcome to the mad house.

Look on the bright side. You Texas irrigation guys should have plenty of repair work this spring.
While I do appreciate your kind optimism,

Its times like these I'm glad they let ole' boots out, so he can tell us newbies what he has experienced over decades of seeing first hand, left hand, underhand.
the gentleman has forgotten more about irrigation than I yet know.

I then take his advice and use it to help the people that trust me.

We are lucky to have him.

And you hit the nail on the head im afraid this is going to be a huge lesson about above ground articles.

I do love the DCVA and always will.

Thanks for cheering me up Sir, your a good man for that!

Last edited:

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not an irrigation contractor, but I'm a lifelong resident of the northeast and I'm sticking with insulation.

It would be best to grind up the leaves to get a higher density. We plant our garlic in the fall and then mulch it over with about 4 inches of ground up leaves before winter sets in. It keeps the soil below it from freezing all winter.
IMG_20210212_191658112_HDR.jpg
That's my garden in the background, photo taken a few minutes ago.

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
LOL Maybe that was a thing 5+ years ago.. I'm sure you noticed this group is quite slow these days. Any comments are more then welcome

jason mcgraw

LawnSite Member
I found this cool chart! (pertains to lake ice, so bigger than 1 cubic foot)

1613177266325.png

"Once the first layer of ice catches on a lake it grows thicker at rate that is dependent on air temperature, windiness, radiational cooling, the thickness of the ice sheet and any snow or frost buildup on the ice sheet."
source

Wet_Boots

LawnSite Fanatic
In our neck of the woods, there has been a sort of extended real-life field testing going on in the matter of valve boxes and freeze damage. Phlegm at eleven.

First off, you have lids on the boxes. Period. No debate, just fit them with lids. That separates the air in the box from the air above the box. As the air in the box is affected primarily by the temperature of the soil in the box, the valve box contents are protected from a quick-freeze.

You might invest in some battery-powered thermometers with min-max capability, and record temperatures in valve boxes, comparing them with the weather records.