• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Question for PG owners

jasontimm

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been looking for a new sprayer spreader, its between the PG, z-spray and a turfco T3000. I have an idea on what direction i want to go, however, today i stopped at JDL and looked at the new Triumph, very nice machine. In the majority of discussions on this site it seems to be Z-spray VS. the Turfco T3000, very little said about the PG. I do know that there is a lot of PG's out there. The question i have is, why did you buy a PG over the other two Z-spray & T3000. Was it the price, the fact yu can drive to a store and look at one, or the performance??? The sales guy today was not educated on the competition, so was not able to sell me on why i should buy a PG over the other two.

And please no debate on Z-sray VS T3000, i've been well educated on opinions reguarding the two.

Thanks
Jason

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
Have not tried the triumph. We bought a PG Ultra because it was the cheapest used ride on we could find. It's better than not having a ride on. Magnum and Ultra do not spray as good as the T or Z. PG has 3 hole spreader. We dont like 3 hole spreaders, so for our area a T3000 will be our choice.

OP
J

jasontimm

LawnSite Senior Member
Have not tried the triumph. We bought a PG Ultra because it was the cheapest used ride on we could find. It's better than not having a ride on. Magnum and Ultra do not spray as good as the T or Z. PG has 3 hole spreader. We dont like 3 hole spreaders, so for our area a T3000 will be our choice.
Why dont you like the 3 hole spreader?

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
it has an uneven spread pattern and clogs easy.
What he said. Used Anderson, Lesco (both 3 hole), and now use a Spyker (1 hole).

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
If the 3 hole spreaders deliever an uneven pattern, why are they the number one style offered, and why have they kept making them for so many years? I don't have issues with the 3 hole design. And if clogs are the issue, you are probably using low quality fertilizers that's clumpy, or stuff that's been wet and then dried.

I bought the PG magnum because at the time it was the only machine offered in my area for sale that I could put my hands on. Never heard of another dealer for the other brands out there. One fert supplier "said" they were thinking of selling the Z spray units, but that never materilized.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I don't have a problem with my 3 hole Lesco either. Never had a plug.

Also, folks won't talk much about the Triumph or PG because the units are overpriced for what they are. You can get a new T or Z for just a wee bit more, with more functionality or so everyone says who owns them.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have my PG Centri's mainly because I'm cheap! lol
I like them because they are a very simple design and if anything goes wrong with them I can fix them myself. they do a good job for me but if I were going to spend the $ for a new ride-on spreader I would have to go with a Z jr.

indyturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
it has an uneven spread pattern and clogs easy.
I have never had a major problem with the 3 hole, but those are the main complaints you hear about them. used Lesco push spreaders for many years.

lush&green

LawnSite Member
I have had my PG Ultra for 5 seasons. It was a great spreader for us. We just upgraded to a LT Rich JR. The Turfco and LT Rich unit are just in a different class for the same $$$. I have a well maintained Ultra for sale here. lol
If you are going new I would look at the LT Rich, I am really impressed by the unit and the ease of maintenance... But again, the pg I feel is in a different class than the other two..