1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Question for the grass guru's

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Premo Services, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a bid to seed, starter fertilize and place straw over seed to make.
    I have the seed and fert figured out, but I need to know how much straw is needed to cover around 7000 sf

Thanks a lot!!!!!

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I usually figure 2 bales per thousand. You may use less, but it sucks to run out.....

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Turf Pro, I was thinking on the lines of 2 bales /1000sf
    and it would suck to run out:headphones: :waving:

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i believe 1 bail covers 750sqft but it could be 500. honestly it all depends on who's spreading the starw.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: Dangggg...How heavy you put it??? I used 13 bales for 11,000sq ft and in areas it was heavier than i wanted....:laugh:

6. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: So how about you BID your jobs at 1.2 bales per thousand and I BID mine at 2. Every job is a little different (how bare, slope, who's doing it, etc). If we have some left, we use it on the next job.....

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Straw bales come in all sizes,I get good size bales of around 40-50 lbs and try to use one bale per 1000. It doesnt always work out that way, sometimes its a lot more. I also use a blower which will make a big difference over hand strown straw. Anyways, when i bid a job, I figure 1.5 bales per 1000 sqft. or 60 bales per acre. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose, but I am usually over on my estimate so I usually have some straw left.