Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or I guess this question goes for anyone, actually. I am trying to begin projecting my expenses for next year when I go full time. I was wondering how many times you can sharpen a set of blades until you toss them. I plan on having 5 sets of blades for each mower (except 21") and changing them every day. Will also be using a Magna-Matic sharpener and balancer. Also what brand of blades do you guys recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
could be only once or 50 times you sharpen them, depends if you hit something, or cut in alot of sand etc. I don't hit too much, but I do cut alot of sandy lawns, and it wears the fins out real quick.

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
Originally posted by Tbarchaser
Hey meg-mo...Did you go to the Flex deck school of marketing?
no issue. he's a forum sponsor...as was flex. for paying to have his logo on top of the page he's earned the right to comment as he pleases. don't think so? contact the administrator.

GEO

·
Banned
3,594 Posts
geo is right. Someone asked about blades, Meg-Mo is a sponsor, he answered the guys question. I'm not going to comment about flex-deck.....everyone has a different approach.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by Meg-Mo
Try the meg mo blades . You will be happy.
Ditto

Give the Meg Mo blades a try. You will not be disapointed.:)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Take that! What he said......

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally posted by dave80
Or I guess this question goes for anyone, actually. I am trying to begin projecting my expenses for next year when I go full time. I was wondering how many times you can sharpen a set of blades until you toss them. I plan on having 5 sets of blades for each mower (except 21") and changing them every day. Will also be using a Magna-Matic sharpener and balancer. Also what brand of blades do you guys recommend?

Thanks
You might want to consider changing the blades based on hours of mowing.

If you are a solo operator, you are probably not using your mowers more than 4 hours of a 8 hour day. Many people on this forum advocate changing blades every 8 hours of use.

Under this scenario, you might not need to change blades more than every other day or so.

It is nice to have sharp blades, but just to change every day could be overkill, depending on how much you are using the mowers.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
the amount that you change the blades depends on the wear of them, the amount of use, and whether or not you have hit something. Like wriken said, it just depends.

·
Banned
4,396 Posts
I'm all for sharp blades, but some seem to take it to a ridiculous degree. If you're spending 20 minutes a day 5 days a week removing, sharpening, and remounting sets of blades on a mower instead of twice a week, you've used up another hour of your time. That's $48 you could have earned in that time, or maybe $1500 a year.

Maybe the extra sharpness matters, but I haven't seen any clear cut difference in cut by sharpening more frequently than about every 12 hours of use. In sandy conditions, after hitting objects, etc, do it more. But daily sharpening costs you time that you have to realize costs you money. I sharpen blades when I inspect them and they need it. Perhaps some of the daily sharpeners aren't as busy and have the spare time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
AAAH hell spend the $180 and get the meg-mo blades, you'll never have to replace em, except for the occasional knife that cost $13. But I dont know why they sell individual knives, cause they never nick, or get dinged. They take forever to get dull so maybe put an edge on em once a month.:rolleyes:

I dont sharpen mine unless they need it.;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well Bruce I am very busy. I do however take the time to make sure I am cutting and not tearing my customers grass.
I understand what you are saying about saving time. That is why I have 8 to 10 sets of blades. I send them to a professional blade sharpening company here in town. I am charged $ for each blade. Sorry price is conf.
But it isnt much. By rotating my blades I always have a sharpe blade on my mower.
I need this because I have a lot of Bahia grass and tall weeds that the customers will not part with , lol
If I was only mowing good grass lawns like some of my customers have I could get away with the 12 hrs or so on a blade set.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dave, one thing you might think about when you decide how much to sharpen and/or change blades is that as the blade gets narrower it will not cut as well. The distance from the tip of the blade to the back of the fin makes a big difference in the cut quality. You get a lot more turbulence under the deck when the blades have been sharpened down too much. This is why an older blade with an edge just as sharp as a new one will not give as high a quality cut. A good solution to this is to use new or almost new blades in wet conditions or tall grass, then after they have been sharpened a few times, put them aside for use later when the grass is dry and not growing as fast. The difference in cut quality is not nearly as much then.

·
Banned
2,382 Posts
Thanks for the post. I'd been kind of doing that all along but didn't really understand the reasoning for it.

Dave;
If you're sharpening every day you'll hardly be taking any metal off.
I only sharpen when I see the blades are dull and like KerryB wrote, I can sharpen about 5 times.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.