• LawnSite Homepage Upgrade

Hello again LawnSite community,

I wanted to post a quick note to let you know that the homepage of LawnSite will experience a major upgrade later this week. We’re always looking for ways to improve our users’ experience on the site, and felt that this upgrade was needed and long overdue..

With this upgrade, you’ll now see the top trending posts as soon as you visit LawnSite, and these will be updated throughout the day. You can also easily access videos and photos. As always, we encourage you to include videos and photos in your own posts to share with your fellow LawnSite users.

Be assured that all of the forums, content and data that you’ve been accustomed to will remain intact, as will all current site features. You’ll also be able to easily access the full list of forums directly from our new homepage.

We’re excited to bring you this change, and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks, LawnSite Team

Question on bidding on open lots

Kleen Kutz

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey guys, I'm about to put in a bid for about 60-70 open lots. There are bout 15-20 open lots that are on the corner and in cul-de-sac's. Of course those lots are bigger than the other lots. I will charge about $50 for the normal size lots and I'm not sure if I should charge a lil more for the corner and the cul-de-sac lots. Is there a formula I should use for the square footage or I should charge them all the same across the board. Thanks for the help:)

SouthSide Cutter

LawnSite Bronze Member
Depends how fast you can mow a lot. If you can mow one lot in 30 min, $50 is alot of money and you wont get the bid. And your not going to mow to fast because your mowers arent very big unless you have others than what you show.

KrayzKajun

LawnSite Fanatic
if it all under one bid, then they are gunna go for about $12-$15each, maybe less.
i bid a job last year was right at 15acres, with about 6 acres of lots. 210 individual lots, thw winning bid went for $11 a lot.

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
Hey guys, I'm about to put in a bid for about 60-70 open lots. There are bout 15-20 open lots that are on the corner and in cul-de-sac's. Of course those lots are bigger than the other lots. I will charge about $50 for the normal size lots and I'm not sure if I should charge a lil more for the corner and the cul-de-sac lots. Is there a formula I should use for the square footage or I should charge them all the same across the board. Thanks for the help:)
Say lots one more motha F^(kin time!!! hahahaha

djagusch

LawnSite Platinum Member
Depends on the lots and expectations.

I mow 55 lots for a bank. Takes 10 to 12 hrs depending on growth. The normal bill is $750. The first bill was $1200 due to 4ft grass/weeds. I base the bill off of $50/hr but includes drive time there and back as it's out of my area.

I'm running my old scag turf tiger which I don't care what it hits, etc. Use old worn out blades. Basically that mower is beyond it's useful life unless I buy a new deck for it. Right now I'm using it for a brush cut mower of such which keeps my newer mowers in better shape.

Dr.NewEarth

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hi, can you be more specific?

How large is a "LOT?" Remember you're asking a question that will be read by people in the U.S., Canada, Australia and every-where in between. (world wide web)

Are these pieces of property overgrown? Have they been levelled and seeded properly? Could they be hiding rocks, sticks and other things that could do damage or injury? Do you need to walk the site before you do each cut? Are they entirely empty lots? You say a cul-de-sac...does it have curbs? Have any concrete forms been poured for a sub-division that is on hold? Can you post pictures?

Who owns the property. Construction companies can take months and months to pay you, or they could go bankrupt and you end up working for free.

Close to where I am, a single family "Lot" can be any-where from a thousand to two thousand square feet (with a house in the middle) Then you get into increments of acres and larger in some sub-divisions.

My "tail gate drop price" remains at $32.50 minimum (plus 12% tax) for a residential property up to 2000 square feet. This fee applies even if the clients property is right next to another client and I only have to unload once. Even if it only takes thirty minutes to cut, trim and clean-up.

Site challenges will add to this minimum price.

There are others here that may (and will) do the job for less, but I know what my overhead is. I know what my competitors are charging and the type of work each one is capable of. I have a sense of who will be out of business by next season.

We only cut nine months out of the year and I have to live on savings during the winter. (our laid off employees can collect unemployment insurance)

Contractors have office overhead, we have to replace tools and do alot of equipment maintenance aside from the actual jobs we contract. We really need a return on investment(r.o.i.) a profit and also have to take into consideration that equipment maintenance in our industry is estimated to be between ten and fifteen percent of our time.

Also, Vancouvers cost of living is higher than where you are.

Even though, I believe you are worth much more than what you are considering.