• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Question on centipede lawn?

Snapper Pro

LawnSite Member
I have a newly started centipede lawn that's not fully established that just before dormant season I started getting Bermuda and crab grass.What would be a good weed control program for this centipede lawn to start this spring?Thanks for any suggestions.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Was the lawn seeded or sodded? If it were sodded I am surprised that there was bermuda in the sod. Other that a PROPER fertilization without chlorine based fertilizer. Centipede will not tolerate chlorine; it will actually poison it slowly. Water turf with every-other-day schedule of about 1/2" per cycle, and no pre-em until fall. Let me know before proceeding. Centipede is very picky and you can kill it before you realize it.
If you sodded, where did you get sod infested with bermuda and crabgrass? I'd complain and take some photos back to the sod farm. Bermuda in centipede is real bad news as almost anything that you put on centipede to control the bermuda will kill it. Crabgrass is no problem with established turf and sod. Generally a good pre-em will take care of that. There's a fantastic warm-seasoned guy (Greendoctor) from Hawaii that knows more about centipede than anyone and maybe he will give some insight on bermuda in your turf and are you sure it is bermuda instead of common crabgrass?
I used to live in Ocean Isle Beach and know that area very well. Been through Tabor City many times. Let me know what you do. Roy

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Weed control? I would direct my efforts towards a program of turf management. Centipede needs an acidic, well drained soil that receives water regularly. Secondly, this is a grass that must not be cut short. I am thinking along the lines of 2"-3" and no shorter. Finally, due to the very shallow root system of centipede, I avoid the common preemergent herbicides. My weed control is to follow those cultural practices so the grass grows thick and vigorously. Weeds are controlled by herbicides that do not injure the grass or prune its roots. I will use simazine or atrazine as a preemegent. Gallery is also very good for stopping infestations of broadleaf weeds. Crabgrass and bermuda can be controlled by treatment with sethoxydim herbicide. To generalize my recommendations: centipede is never to be treated or fertilized like other cool or warm season grasses. Attempting to do so is a recipe for disappointment.

OP
S

Snapper Pro

LawnSite Member
No the lawn was seeded with a drill my lawn is four acres I would have been broke if i would have laid it with sod.But anyway its done real well so far but i have some patches of bermuda in certain areas.Thanks a lot for the feed back Im still trying to learn as much as i can about turf management Im adding to my lawn care & landscaping service.I know a far amount about it but i like to see what others opinions are.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes. Especially in the areas away from the coast. Centipede is salt sensitive and does better on acidic soils, so it does poorly at sea level. I have to know how to maintain 5 different species of warm season grass here.

OP
S

Snapper Pro

LawnSite Member
RAlmaroad were are u located in SC?I was just wondering since u are not very far.And just wondering how business is their?Its been Pretty steady out my way.

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Snapper: I live in TN about half the time and in Murrells Inlet, SC the other half; retired and have a few clients at both places. Economy in SC is about 12% unemployed.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
Water turf with every-other-day schedule of about 1/2" per cycle
Come on man, you know better than this. :nono:

Interval water based on when you hit your MAD (management allowable depletion) with the amount necessary to bring the effective root zone (current + desired) back to field capacity (+ any leaching requirements).

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Well, maybe a 1/3"+/- or so. These lawns get hit with 100 degrees plus almost daily in the summer and dry out extremely fast, couple that with almost pure sand that leaches within an hour after a rain then the extra water (.5") is a normal for coastal turf to keep the roots reasonable moist. Let them go for two full days and they curl or even close. Golf courses water every night on coastal grounds. Maybe in your part of the country with a different soil, an inch (1.0) is OK with infrequent and deep irrigation. Shallow wells are common for every home for irrigation, another difference and water is plentiful the wells have a endless source of water from the ocean lens purifying the water as it presses towards the coast. Centipede and St. Augustine are not drought tolerant as bermudagrass. Think what you will; however that every-other-day schedule has proven to be a key to a thick an vibrant lawn. You may have issues with monthly fertilization.