1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Question on Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by albhb3, Mar 21, 2009.

1. albhb3

albhb3 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys and gals I have been looking to the future and have been wondering how many mowers can you fit in a 16 18 and 20 ft trailer? Also does 7 to 8 foot make that much of a difference. I will be looking to put lazer z and a TT in there along with the blowers and different things. Does anyone care for the V fronts for extra storage or does in not make that much of a difference. I am primarily looking full alum. for the weight and lack of rust. I am assuming 3500# axels as well? What are your opinions on Wells Cargo, Haulmark, and Haulin trailers. Any coment on newman or triton. Thanks I know theres alot of Qs in here. AJS

2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Our first enclosed trailer was a 8.5x16 and we fit a 36" w/b and a rider with a bagging unit on it, that's all we could fit. We are picking up a 8.5x24ft V nose in a few days and now we can fit a 36"w/b, a rider (with bagger) and another w/b with a few feet to spare. I wanted a V nose so I could put the tools and junk on a shelf which will be in the "V" space. The box space is 24ft with 3ft of "V" space.
    If your looking at a full aluminum trailer expect to spend BIG BUCKS in the ball park of 10K. If I could do it all over again I would have just bought a 20ft right off the bat. Also I would get up graded axles, the 3500lb axles (x2)= a GVWR of 7000lbs but a larger trailer will weigh in at around 4k so that only gives you a carrying capacity of around 3k which isn't much with a few mower's. As far as manufactures...imo, who ever gives you the best price. They are all basically built the same. Ours is a ProLine which looked just like several other trailer's we looked at, just a different sticker slapped on it. One thing to look at if your going to get it lettered is a trailer with no rivets. I've seen a few but there were things I didn't like about the trailer itself on the inside. Hope this helps.