1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Question on Newly Laid Zoysia Grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by frl_atx, Apr 14, 2019.

1. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it should get growing with temps in the 80s. give it a few more weeks.

hort101 and frl_atx like this.
  2. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

No. I was just trying to rule out the possibility of it being something you did but it seems like everything was done correctly. May just be coming out of dormancy. Give it time as suggested. If doesn’t improve in a month then I’d worry.

hort101 and weeze like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    frl_atx

frl_atx LawnSite Member

Ok thanks. Sounds like I just need to give it some time.

One other thing I forgot to mention is there is a section of the sod that is springy or spongy. Essentially if you walk on it you sink down. You can easily leave a footprint in this area. It’s hard to take a photo of this to capture this.

Will this improve with time when the grass matures? Or is this a looming problem? It has been like this since the sod was laid.

4. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

Is the area soggy wet? If not then sounds like a soil compaction issue. Not sure. Kind of strange.

hort101 likes this.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i know around here the bermuda and zoysia are just now starting to grow and come out of their dormant stage.

hort101 likes this.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Springy means soil probably came off the sod before it was laid. It happens!

7. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Seems like its just not waking up fast, it needs to get hot outside and it'll start going nuts. It also is not going to like any shade.

I would give this some time, but I would also push my home lawn when its coming out of dormancy with a liquid spray fertilizer in addition to the granular. Something with a similar ratio is fine, 6-2-4, 7-1-2, etc. You don't want to hit hard with the nitrogen (like a 27-0-2) until its all awake.