Question on striping

RDH Services LLC

LawnSite Member
I have been looking at this site for a long time and seen a lot of pictures of lawn stripes. Do you have to set the deck height lower in the front and higher in the back to accomplish those stripes? What is the secret??? I have a hydro walk behind.

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm not sure if my advice will help or not but its not about the deck is adjusted really its more about the type of grass I believe.

I generally get the best stripes when I cut higher.

Some people use a striping bar and that helps some.

I hope this helps! And I'm sure many people will chime in.

elitelawnteam1

LawnSite Senior Member
If you search around a bit, you'll see that most southern grasses don't stripe well at all, most of the nicer striped lawns are up north.

tnwildcat

LawnSite Member
Search on this site for the ones that use chain hanging from a piece of metal. I made one out of heavy rubber it worked great. But it filled the sulky with a mountain of grass. Making a chain kit this winter. This type can be easily made without a welder. A two wheel sulky also helps to avoid ruining stripes.

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
I have been looking at this site for a long time and seen a lot of pictures of lawn stripes. Do you have to set the deck height lower in the front and higher in the back to accomplish those stripes? What is the secret??? I have a hydro walk behind.
Did you read anything or just look at pictures?

The angle of the deck helps create a striped affect. What happens is the deck being a 1/4 inch higher in the back ( this figure will and should change according to the blade length) will cause the cutting blade to create suction at the back of the deck. This pulls the grass toward the front as the mower passes over. Then you have a striping roller that can press down on the grass blades to help lay the grass over. The grass plays a big roll as well. If you don't have a northern type of grass, you'll be spinning wheels trying to stripe a lawn that simply can't be striped.

wswebster42

LawnSite Member
You would be better off just mowing a lil higher or getting a flap/roller. I have experienced on my Exmark wlkbehind that having the deck unlevel from pin settings leads to the belt getting wore faster. Naturally they are not set level anyway. But extending that even more will run thru your belts faster. Belt needs to run as horizontal from front to back as possible.

Wecutgrass

LawnSite Senior Member
I wish I could strip down south on st aug i feel like the lawns look 100% better when they have clear stripes
Posted via Mobile Device

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
I think it also has to do with how high the blades sit on the spindles in relation to the bottom of the deck.. The higher up they sit the more grass blade the back of the deck actually has to grab a hold of and push forward.. If you have a mower that uses spindle spacers try taking 1 or 2 off each and see how it cuts? My older Bobcat stripes really nice with them up towards the top one washer.. My Toro proline on the other hand has no room for adjustment on the Spindle and the Blades just sit at the same height as the bottom of the deck leaving nothing to push the grass forward but the vacuum of the deck alone.

If you really want your stripes to pop though.. you'll need a roller or striping kit which will actually weigh the grass down as opposed to pushing it or sucking it forward, while hiding your tire marks to an extent

You can Stripe Southern Grasses to a degree.. You just have to cut it at a height taller then most people do..Im up in the north (Philly/Jersey area) the only southern grasses I service up here are Zoysia and they stripe decent at 3 inch..beings the nature of the grass holding soil so well I only change direction monthly or every 6 weeks and burn the stripes in. (For lack of better words

jtk47

LawnSite Member
It is harder to stripe southern grasses due to the lack of silica content in the leaves. Silica causes the light to reflect more. Cool season grasses have the most content. I can get centipede to stripe decent if it is very thick and i keep it cut at about 3-3.5 inches. That is with a mower with a striping kit. Striping is the main reason I wish all of my clients would let me over seed during the winter.