• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Question with pre emergent control

boots1227

LawnSite Member
Hi guys , i am new here. My name is Brian . I just would like to say that this is awesome to finally be able to talk with others in the business that go through what i go through , during a day at work. My first question is : I always wind up with crabgrass in the very end of july and august and september . I used scotts last year and the growth of the grass was crazy. I live in ny, the bronx section. On April 15th last year i put down my step one with tupersan , just incase i have to fix anything and then about May 15th i started with the scotts turf builder with halts crabgrass preemergent . It held out the crabgrass until the end of july begining of august . What can i do to keep at least 90% of it out at least til the middle of sept. I usually start my spraying then and do my repair work in october. I know i am going with some slow release fertilizers this year and i know of dimension , barricade, and team ,but how can i put it all together , so i don't burn the lawn in the summer and keep the crabgrass out. I am looking at lebanon and they have some cool products. Any ideas.....Thanks for any help.

Take care
Brian

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Try checking with your extension service for timing of applications. No offense but you may need to learn more about the basics of fertilizing and applications. Have you obtained your licensing? The reason I ask is a professional would most likely not use Scott's products.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
Try checking with your extension service for timing of applications. No offense but you may need to learn more about the basics of fertilizing and applications. Have you obtained your licensing? The reason I ask is a professional would most likely not use Scott's products.
The reason why i use scotts is because people always ask for it. It is so well known it is hard to push other products because people think you are giving them crap, because they don't know the name. I have tried others in the past but could never really get the chance to follow up because they don't know the name . They see it so much on tv. Yes we do have our license.fertilizing should really only be done 2 times a year. They say fertilizing in the summer only really helps promote weeds , because cool season grass really doesn't want to grow. They say to go with greener's in the summer. Plus fertilizing should not be done in the summer months due to the chance of burning the lawn......So any help would be appreciated.........
Thanks
Brian

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
boots - did you not have a bunch of rain there last green season? If I am right....then your pre barrier broke down in short order and you got breakthrough. Maybe look at a split app of Dimension/Barricade this season, though NOTHING can account for weather that breaks down pre faster.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
i agree with above.

and fert only two times a year will NOT give you a think enough turf unless you are lucky. who ever told you that is not a pro, and i have found the extention offices dont know crap about tru pro turf maint. it is all in timing and the type of fert you use,

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Drop by your local John Deere Landscapes office in winter when they are not busy. They will set you up with a good program. Also, Tupersan is not particularly effective--lasts about 30 days--and costs twice as much. Be sure you are applying at the correct date for your location and soil temp. Also you need to learn about the various products available and which ones last the longest for crabgrass control. Also you have to learn how to apply the correct amount; calibrate your equipment carefully.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
boots - did you not have a bunch of rain there last green season? If I am right....then your pre barrier broke down in short order and you got breakthrough. Maybe look at a split app of Dimension/Barricade this season, though NOTHING can account for weather that breaks down pre faster.
Yes we had record total months here with the rain. It was crazy.Thanks for the help.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
i agree with above.

and fert only two times a year will NOT give you a think enough turf unless you are lucky. who ever told you that is not a pro, and i have found the extention offices dont know crap about tru pro turf maint. it is all in timing and the type of fert you use,
Is it ok to fertilizer with a slow release in the summer , like the lebanon with the mesa?

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
Drop by your local John Deere Landscapes office in winter when they are not busy. They will set you up with a good program. Also, Tupersan is not particularly effective--lasts about 30 days--and costs twice as much. Be sure you are applying at the correct date for your location and soil temp. Also you need to learn about the various products available and which ones last the longest for crabgrass control. Also you have to learn how to apply the correct amount; calibrate your equipment carefully.
I have always known of the different products they use , it just hard to get people to accept change. The thing i try to figure out is ,if they say the crabgrass control last 60 days , should i hit it again a week before the 60 day's are up or is it ok to go a little after the 60 days. Thanks for the help.....