Questions about a Zspray and what size to get

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
I am a full service lawn care business that has been growing the fertilizing side of things quite a bit last year and into this year. I currently have a permagreen magnum and a 200 gallon skid sprayer. Both have always worked well for me however I am looking to upgrade to a zspray because I am sick of pulling the hose around and have never really used/trusted the spray pattern of the permagreen. I was wondering what was the best z-spray to go with because I do a large variation in size lawns. usually no less than 10k. I would say most are around 20k-30k and a lot very close to each other in the same neighborhoods/subdivision. So i lean towards the max. However, I also do 2 big HOA which are around 80 duplex units with smaller lawns and I am concerned the max may be to big and was wondering what other users suggestions are. The permagreen was always able to get in and out of small places and I am concerned about the size of the max. Also the use of the spray system and spreader combo. Is it fairly easy to get used to after a couple 2 or 3 hours of use dealing with both the spray and spread pattern and being careful not to over/under apply or miss areas? Any and all suggestions regarding the zsprays would be very helpful thanks.

bamaturf

LawnSite Member
i have the intermediate and it fits my needs. i like the elect start and hydros
and i use the hose too. some gates or small skinny places it wont fit and i use a 50 lb lesco push. when i first got it ,about a year ago, i practiced on my own yard to get familiar with all the controls etc now its easy.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
If most of your lawns are 20K plus definitely go with the Max. I strarted out with the Jr and realized quickly I made a mistake. I was wasting so much time refilling. I feel like the Z was fairly easy to learn. It is the only machine I have ever had so I don't have anything to compare it to. Basically started out applying with the Z.

Why not keep the PG for the HOA and use the Max for the other props?

OP
D

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
If most of your lawns are 20K plus definitely go with the Max. I strarted out with the Jr and realized quickly I made a mistake. I was wasting so much time refilling. I feel like the Z was fairly easy to learn. It is the only machine I have ever had so I don't have anything to compare it to. Basically started out applying with the Z.

Why not keep the PG for the HOA and use the Max for the other props?
I would like to sell the PG and the skid sprayer if the Z works out good I do have an 80 lbs Lesco Spreader for SMALL areas that the Z can't make it to. The PG and Skid are in fairly good shape and can help with the up front cost of the Z.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I have a max and use it on almost everything, I will even put it on 5k lawns that need to be sprayed.

I do still keep a 200 gal tank on the truck to nurse the z as well as push spreader, hand spreader and hand can.

I do still run pg's but the max goes almost everywhere that the pg can and does more production.

My suggestion, for what its worth, is to get the max as overkill for your only machine, sell the pg to help pay for it but keep the tank sprayer, you will kick yourself for not keeping it as a nurse tank and occasional spray rig.

OP
D

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
From the way it sounds the spray/spread patern is actually more consistant, reliable and easier to calibrate than the PG is this the case? As well as I think I've read some post in the past about changing the nossel in the tanks to increase agitation anybodys thoughts on this? Lastly how does it do on Hills compared to the PG I would imagine because its hydro driven rather than belt it would be better?