1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Questions about going legit!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by buffalonick, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. buffalonick

    buffalonick LawnSite Member
    Messages: 213

    I want to start a lawn care service in the spring in NY but i wanna be as legal as possible. To do that how do i go about it? Do i need to be licensed? Does my truck really need a DOT number? How much insurance do i need and what type? And last how do i start to pay taxes?
  2. SangerLawn

    SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana
    Messages: 736

    I am not sure about New York so I can’t answer all your questions. I recommend doing a search on this site.

    As far as DOT numbers, yes you will need them depending on the gwr weight of trailer and truck.

    Find an accountant and ask them the questions for taxes.

    To legally operate you will need at least 1 million dollars insurance. If you cross state lines you will need 2 million if you carry gas cans.

    Some states to my understanding also require workman’s comp even if you work solo. My state does not require it until you start hiring employees. If you do any commercial properties you will have to have workman’s comp no matter if your solo or not. In this state workma’s comp is required in order to do commercial properties.

Share This Page