• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Questions about running doubles

CNE

LawnSite Member
OK, I have read about you guys running doubles and meg mo's. First question, when you are running doubles, you just stack the blades right? Doesn't that require you to raise the deck since the bottom blade is now lower than it would normally be or is it not enough difference to matter? I have an Exmark Lazer 60 with the 23 Kohler. Is this enough HP to turn doubles and what blades should I use? Stock Exmarks? I also have a 48" Gravely WB with a 15 HP Kawasaki. Will it turn them also? Thanks.

sildoc

LawnSite Silver Member
I took one washer out from the bottom and put it on top. I use gator magnums over high lifts. It works best for my machine. You need to try them all to find what works best for your machine. I have a 15hp on my 36" and it is more than powerful enough. thick, wet grass I have to slow a little but not much.

battags

LawnSite Senior Member
Originally posted by imograss
Doubles creates finer clippings, better vacume, and better clipping distribution. At least in my case.
Don't forget better stripes!

B

bottlefed89

LawnSite Member
Hey guys, I just got my super surfer a few weeks back, and have been running the blades that came on it. I have some gators on the way; I'll need the mulching block off plate instead of the discharge chute when I run them together for the best cut, right??

chimmygew

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes. With only a 23 hp engine on a 60" deck, I would be worried about power consumption.

battags

LawnSite Senior Member
Originally posted by chimmygew
Yes. With only a 23 hp engine on a 60" deck, I would be worried about power consumption.
Wrong. 23hp is more than enough to run doubles. Do a search, guys, you will find pleanty more on the subject.

B