Questions for my new business.

KingTony

LawnSite Member
Hi guys,

I’m starting my new lawncare business this spring. Anyways I bought all used stuff… a truck ($3500), aerator ($2200), and dethatcher (500) for my business. I’ll probably be able to start with less than 10k in costs and no debt. I’ve worked for companies before but since I had money and liked the work I decided to start my own business.

Aeration will in all likelihood be my chief money maker as it is very popular where I live.

I’ve read these forums for many hours however I still have some questions:

How often to change oil… what kind of oil. For a ryan aerator and a ryan power rake. It didn’t say in the manual.

I’ve never dethatched so I was wondering what’s the most efficient way to do it? What’s the most efficient way to bag. And also do you leave the bagged grass at the customers house or dispose of it yourself?

Also how do you recommend you price dethatching? Is roughly 1.5X the aeration price fair?

Whats a good spreader?

Whats good fertilizer/seed?

Thanks,

Tony

weeble67

LawnSite Senior Member
Oil is something you can use what is recommended by the manufacturer or your own personal preference. I like to use synthetic, which I run in my atv's, my Harley, my mower, and my aerator. I like what I have read and it has worked great for me.

As for how often, if you are concerned on the hours follow the hour meter, if it doesn't have one then put one on they aren't that expensive. I normally pay attention to the look of the oil and consider how much I have used the equipment. My aerator may only get used in the spring and in the fall, but it gets an oil change every year at a minimum. The cost of the oil is cheap insurance to know that it is well lubed.

When it comes to pricing your services. Only you will know what you need to get. I have a minimum on all my services. I won't drop the gate on my trailer for less. I used to vary from that amount and have been burnt a few times. The diesel costs me money when she is running, therefore I charge the fee to turn the key.

If you aren't sure on the going rate in your area for services and don't want to be lowballer then have a few friends call some of your competition and ask for estimates. You prepare on and then compare what your numbers are to the competition. Remember if you label yourself as a lowballer you will do nothing but ruin the market and you will not make the money you expect to.

Also be sure and get insurance, licenses and any training you may need. Most new guys in my area start out thinking I can make tons of money and very few last 5 years. It isn't as easy as expected and the money isn't as golden as it looks on paper.

Hi guys,

I’m starting my new lawncare business this spring. Anyways I bought all used stuff… a truck ($3500), aerator ($2200), and dethatcher (500) for my business. I’ll probably be able to start with less than 10k in costs and no debt. I’ve worked for companies before but since I had money and liked the work I decided to start my own business.

Aeration will in all likelihood be my chief money maker as it is very popular where I live.

I’ve read these forums for many hours however I still have some questions:

How often to change oil… what kind of oil. For a ryan aerator and a ryan power rake. It didn’t say in the manual.

I’ve never dethatched so I was wondering what’s the most efficient way to do it? What’s the most efficient way to bag. And also do you leave the bagged grass at the customers house or dispose of it yourself?

Also how do you recommend you price dethatching? Is roughly 1.5X the aeration price fair?

Whats a good spreader?

Whats good fertilizer/seed?

Thanks,

Tony
Youve spent $6500 as mentioned. What did you spend on mowers? Ins, licensing for fertilizer etc? You will need to make all of that back just to break even. Charge what YOU feel you are worth plus operating costs etc. Everyones overhead is different. Good luck to you!