Questions for Scag V-ride owners!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Masterscapes_llc, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Masterscapes_llc

Masterscapes_llc LawnSite Member

Im considering purchasing a scag Vride. I have never used one before but I have heard/read good things about them, and the cost seems to be good. In my area, the lawns are an average of 3/4 acre but some are around 1-1.5 acre.

I was wondering if these machines are geared more toward small lawns? Are they slower than other scag ZTRs? Do your legs get easily fatigued? Im unsure about standing for 1 acre lawns, or all day for that matter. I also do not want to slow down production as I will be working solo. I would be purchasing a 61" deck model. If you have experience with the V-ride, please let me know before I invest in one. Thanks in advance.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a big fan of 61" on vride don't see how you can feather deck to get smooth cut. Our vridces are 48" and 52" and we are very happy with them, Young legs can stand vride old guy uses Turf Tiger,

hort101 likes this.
  3. Mr Stripe

Mr Stripe LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Seymour Missouri

I cut a bunch of 1/2 acre yards solo, 48" V-Ride. I love mine, it doesn't fatigue my legs, I'm 32 yrs old. I like that I can hop off real quick & grab a stick or piece of trash. They're fast machines IMO.

zlandman and hort101 like this.
  4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I guess bigger isn't always better :)

Mr Stripe likes this.
  5. Mr Stripe

Yeah I like the 48"s & 52"s,. As far as a V-Ride iv got no experience in anything larger.

I know KNOXgsl has a large Vride, maybe he'll chime in.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Mr Stripe

Actually I think his is a 61" I'll see if I can get him on here.

hort101 likes this.
  7. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

Oh lord here we go again :laugh:

hort101 and Mr Stripe like this.
  8. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

If most of your properties are flat I would get a 61. If hilly then go with a 52. Under 1/2 acre there's not much difference in production. Above half then the 61 is slightly faster. There's not much difference in purchase price but the 61 is wider and faster. It'll cut thick wet fescue at full speed as well. I found there are less uncut stragglers with the 61 compared to the 52 as well.

hort101 and sjessen like this.
  9. anrwhr1212

anrwhr1212 LawnSite Member

I've had a 61" vride for a few years now. Our properties range from 1/3 of an acre to 5-6 acres. I'll put it on a tiny lot as long as it's pretty flat. I love it. It's does wear me out when it's 100 degrees and we do our big properties (1- 6 acre church and 1- 5 acre estate home) in one day. But I think that would wear you out even with a turf tiger. I love the vride for what Mr.Stripe said, hoping on an off to grab anything. And I think the vride really shines when you get up around the house, or beds because you can see more, maneuver the machine and your body better, its way more productive then a sit down is IMO.

With that being said, I do want to get a 36 or 48" vride. I sold our old tiger cub last month and am realizing how much I miss a machine that size. Ill put the 61" on a lot but a 48" would produce a lot better quality in some situations. Like gated yards or houses in a neighborhood that are super close where the builder did some awful grading.

Just my .02 cents but hope it helps!

hort101 likes this.
  10. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns Banned

They say, once you go V-Ride, you won't go back. :)

Seriously, if most of your properties are 1 acre or smaller, go with the 52". I own both, the 61" and 52". Both are awesome machines. In fact, if you have them dialed in, in my opinion, I will not ever switch to another machine. I've ran through a lot of models, a lot of colors, before I settled with V-Rides including owning (4-5+) different models of standers, and several ztr riders. I've broken every bone in my right leg and half of the bones in my left leg when I was younger racing dirtbikes. Absolutely no leg fatigue at the end of the day. I also have back issues. The stander actually fatigues be less then the sit down, because the ztr's tear up my back over any bumps where the stander platforms tend to soak everything up. Again, if all your properties are flat and your cutting several 1+ acres, get the 61". If your properties aren't flat, and your cutting a lot of properties smaller then an acre, you will be happier with the 52". The 61" might save you some time on a few lots that are wide open, especially being quicker, but it won't get you in and out of tight areas as fast.

knox gsl likes this.