Questions help with auto Insurance and Dot Questions

Turftoil

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone. I have a lot of questions being new, but right now I’m trying to start this business from scratch. Right now I formed my LLC, got my proper license and sales tax permits etc.

I’m a small guy working out of the bed of my pickup. We all start somewhere. I do got a small exmark commercial mower.

My situation. I operate in Kentucky only. I am saving up for a small utility trailer ASAP. I operate a F150 with a GVWR of 6500. From my research I’ve been told that I do not have to worry about DOT yet? Only once I get over 10,001 GVWR. Not that I really understand that well.

A small utility trailer say a 5x10 with maybe a small zero turn in the future. Probably nothing to worry about until I get larger?

I've been told do not worry about DOT yet. Get business auto insurance and general liability insurance. I priced one quote with Progressive and it seemed high. I think cause of my spouse driving history?

If I get a utility trailer get a commercial plate I guess is required in Kentucky. My other questions do I need commercial license plate?

Any suggestions or companies that are affordable please let me know. Please go easy on the new guy. Thanks.

Brucey

LawnSite Silver Member
Progressive Commercial is always high. Talk to an insurance broker/agent who can shop your policy to multiple companies. A 1/2 ton pickup and say 3000 lb single axle trailer should keep you out of DOT land.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Hello everyone. I have a lot of questions being new, but right now I’m trying to start this business from scratch. Right now I formed my LLC, got my proper license and sales tax permits etc.

I’m a small guy working out of the bed of my pickup. We all start somewhere. I do got a small exmark commercial mower.

My situation. I operate in Kentucky only. I am saving up for a small utility trailer ASAP. I operate a F150 with a GVWR of 6500. From my research I’ve been told that I do not have to worry about DOT yet? Only once I get over 10,001 GVWR. Not that I really understand that well.

A small utility trailer say a 5x10 with maybe a small zero turn in the future. Probably nothing to worry about until I get larger?

I've been told do not worry about DOT yet. Get business auto insurance and general liability insurance. I priced one quote with Progressive and it seemed high. I think cause of my spouse driving history?

If I get a utility trailer get a commercial plate I guess is required in Kentucky. My other questions do I need commercial license plate?

Any suggestions or companies that are affordable please let me know. Please go easy on the new guy. Thanks.
Check out Erie insurance.

MeandMyself

LawnSite Member
As long as you stay away from a tandem trailer you are generally good, unless you find an oddball with a 5200 lb axle. Any tandem will put you above 10,001 lbs requiring DOT number and commercial federal requirements.

Ferris 3200

LawnSite Member
My suggestion....talk to the source. Contact the Kentucky DOT. I know it’s not the state police but can’t remember what they call that department.
In Indiana if you stay in state you can go up to 26,000 (combined gvwr) and not fall into the federal regulations. Kentucky may have something similar.
I have no idea what insurance you need.

Top Forums