• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

questions with pre emergent control

boots1227

LawnSite Member
Hi guys , i am new here. My name is Brian . I just would like to say that this is awesome to finally be able to talk with others in the business that go through what i go through , during a day at work. My first question is : I always wind up with crabgrass in the very end of july and august and september . I used scotts last year and the growth of the grass was crazy. I live in ny, the bronx section. On April 15th last year i put down my step one with tupersan , just incase i have to fix anything and then about May 15th i started with the scotts turf builder with halts crabgrass preemergent . It held out the crabgrass until the end of july begining of august . What can i do to keep at least 90% of it out at least til the middle of sept. I usually start my spraying then and do my repair work in october. I know i am going with some slow release fertilizers this year and i know of dimension , barricade, and team ,but how can i put it all together , so i don't burn the lawn in the summer and keep the crabgrass out. I am looking at lebanon and they have some cool products. Any ideas.....Thanks for any help.

Take care
Brian

RAlmaroad

LawnSite Silver Member
Brian:
Regardless of the kind of Pre you use on fescue or bluegrass, the AI does not last all season, especially if it has been a cool rainy season. Generally, if you get a full 60-90 day activation, that's about as good as it gets. True, for some, the more you put down the longer it will last. But--it's going to leach or just die out. With that in mind, when you applied the Pre-Em or growing season will determine when you need to put down another application. You're probably carrying your Pre-Em with fertilizer, so you might think or try a split-application; i. e. April 15 and July 1st. This schedule will give you a grace period of about two weeks. If excessively rainy season then back up your July application. Timing is everything.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
Brian:
Regardless of the kind of Pre you use on fescue or bluegrass, the AI does not last all season, especially if it has been a cool rainy season. Generally, if you get a full 60-90 day activation, that's about as good as it gets. True, for some, the more you put down the longer it will last. But--it's going to leach or just die out. With that in mind, when you applied the Pre-Em or growing season will determine when you need to put down another application. You're probably carrying your Pre-Em with fertilizer, so you might think or try a split-application; i. e. April 15 and July 1st. This schedule will give you a grace period of about two weeks. If excessively rainy season then back up your July application. Timing is everything.
Thanks for the help. When i do my seeding in the fall i do a mix of perannial rye, kentucky blue and tall fescue. This year i am doing a slow release fertilizer in the beginning of April and then starting my first application of pre emergent around the last week of april first week of may. Then i will hit it again with another pre emergent around the first of July. Any recommendations of the pre emergent i should use...Thanks really for the help.

JWTurfguy

LawnSite Senior Member
By the way, RAImaroads's advice on pre-emergent timing was exactly right, so I'm in no way trying to make it sound like he wasn't. Just thought you might appreciate some help from someone local.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
By the way, RAImaroads's advice on pre-emergent timing was exactly right, so I'm in no way trying to make it sound like he wasn't. Just thought you might appreciate some help from someone local.
Hi shane i sent you an email. I would be greatful for any help.
Thanks
Brian

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
boots - didn't you guys have an inordinate amount of rain last growing season, or am I mistaken? If so, that is going to throw your pre effectiveness all to heck. Make sure you don't go off the deep end just because one season was hard on you crab-wise.

OP
B

boots1227

LawnSite Member
boots - didn't you guys have an inordinate amount of rain last growing season, or am I mistaken? If so, that is going to throw your pre effectiveness all to heck. Make sure you don't go off the deep end just because one season was hard on you crab-wise.
Yes we had record breaking months of rain......Thanks for the advice.