• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

quick and simple way to find solenoids

blue87a

LawnSite Member
Does anyone have a quick and easy way to find irrigation solenoids?
A lot of these systems have random solenoid placement and the customers have never seen the green circles in twenty years.
They also do not want to pay someone to perform a locating service. Its very expensive in Eastern NC

CorgiTurf

LawnSite Senior Member
That’s one way. Probably not quick or easy... and you have to pay someone to use the locating tools

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Does anyone have a quick and easy way to find irrigation solenoids?
A lot of these systems have random solenoid placement and the customers have never seen the green circles in twenty years.
They also do not want to pay someone to perform a locating service. Its very expensive in Eastern NC
Easy & quickest=Using locator

What do you consider expensive?

Are you in the irrigation repair Biz?

HunterTekGeek

LawnSite Senior Member
I am forwarding all my calls to you, Jim. Be ready.

blue87a - On old systems that have seen zero maintenance you really need to have the proper tools to locate wire and solenoids. I'm sure you can find a local contractor do to the locate for a reasonable price.

Otherwise, see if you can rent a locator from a Distributor and try it out for a day yourself. There are great videos on Armada's web site. And you can easily search LawnSite for "solenoid", "locate", "wire tracing", "wiring", etc., and find great threads that may be helpful...many written by the folks who responded above. Good luck to you.

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
Huge problem in this industry, cheap clients.
For somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000 they can buy all of the equipment I have. Wire and valve locators, ground fault locators, meters, thumpers, toners, probes, actuators, sondes etc but where do they get the experience I have?

I’ve always flat rated my locating services, guaranteed a successful locate and above all, I’ve been reliable.

It’s not my fault perspective clients think my prices are outrageous for simply locating a valve or a broken wire. It’s Also not my fault they go with “El Cheapo Locating Services” and pay them by the hour to wander around in circles.

One has choices, hire a competent locator for $200 - $500 to locate the entire system and then map it precisely or spend $700+/- on a locator and they can do it themselves.

OR

Sprinkus and I are on standby for the Lawnsite gulfstream, W_B has his mumble-mumble, Irritation is still hanging in there with his 501 and Leary has the cone markers ready to roll, what a crew to draw to. :)