Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll work from this thread so people can read a candid, completely unbiased review of the Quick Dually 44" mower.

I picked it up this morning and have initial observations...

Okay, got everything set up and mowed the neighbors (15k) and mine (2k).

Initial observations.

- 3" height.
- mulch plate on.
- no sulky.
-5.5 mph or so.

AT THE NEIGHBOR'S (4 days of growth, covered in light dew)
- Mulched great. Dumped a pile at one spot when I reversed.
- Never heard the engine have to WOT through tough spots.

AT MY HOUSE (10 days heavy growth - cutting off about 4" - heavy dew)
- Mulched acceptably, though clumps could be seen.
- Heard mower WOT a couple times on thick spots.
- Handled bumps much better than my Toro T-Bar 36".

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:
- Wish the handles were larger diameter. Could feel the narrow handles pressing in on my hands. I'm guessing it'll hurt over a long day... at least until I get used to it.

- Checked the deck after mowing and it was absolutely caked. All the way down to the blade (almost). That being said, though - it didn't seem to inhibit the cut.

- Has far less vacuum than my Toro. But I always ran doubles on the Toro. Less vacuum might prove to mean missing matted grass...

- Controls very sensitive. Holding further out on the handles helps. NOTE: This isn't a complaint, just an observation. Will have adjusted to it by the end of the week, I'm sure.

- Built with the end user in mind. Everything is smart, easy, and solid.

- Changing the deck height is NOT a big deal like people have whined about. At least not coming from belt drive fixed decks. MUCH nicer to do the front caster spacers and then a quick turn with a 3/4" wrench in back to adjust rear height! No removing the blades and adjusting spacers. No leaving the back end at whatever height the factory deemed appropriate - leaving you with a pitched deck whether you want it or not.

- The lock pins on the front casters are less than ideal. Quite a hassle and don't look terribly reliable. Time will tell. I might just swap 'em out for the standard circular style pins on Toro/Lesco.

- Will be a challenge to use at full efficiency. The deck is 4" wider than the rear wheels, so when I make a pass and look for my line on the return pass, I immediately (and primarily out of habit) zone in on the wheel marks. Thus, I lose 8 inches of productivity. Again, not a complaint, just an observation of an adjustment I'll have to make. NOTE: taller grass makes it MUCH easier to see the distinction between the tire track and the actual cut edge.

- I notice that with the strut rods the deck has some minimal flex to it when tipping up/down the front end. Causes me concern b/c I'm conditioned to a flexing deck meaning serious welding in my near future. So we'll see how that goes.
---------------------------------

Okay, now I've got to go get the sulky on and get to work. I'll post more later.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
Did you side discharge with it yet?

I'm mostly concerned with its ability to simply cut grass normally. We don't mulch around here.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Did you side discharge with it yet?

I'm mostly concerned with its ability to simply cut grass normally. We don't mulch around here.
Right on TLS....I have the mulch plate with my Quick 36 and have used it some but actually prefer simple side discharge, the machine is great doing simple side-disch. cutting and the cut is superb. Pull off that mulcher!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
please cut with it on side discharge!! no mulching!

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I took the handle grips off mine because they kept slipping. I put on some bicycle grips that are larger and don't slip as much.
the handles are total different on the dually

whoopassonthebluegrass- I think BOP put those pins on the casters because the other style would come out every once in a while. I lost 2 this summer.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'll work from this thread so people can read a candid, completely unbiased review of the Quick Dually 44" mower.

I picked it up this morning and have initial observations...

Okay, got everything set up and mowed the neighbors (15k) and mine (2k).

Initial observations.

- 3" height.
- mulch plate on.
- no sulky.
-5.5 mph or so.

AT THE NEIGHBOR'S (4 days of growth, covered in light dew)
- Mulched great. Dumped a pile at one spot when I reversed.
- Never heard the engine have to WOT through tough spots.

AT MY HOUSE (10 days heavy growth - cutting off about 4" - heavy dew)
- Mulched acceptably, though clumps could be seen.
- Heard mower WOT a couple times on thick spots.
- Handled bumps much better than my Toro T-Bar 36".

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:
- Wish the handles were larger diameter. Could feel the narrow handles pressing in on my hands. I'm guessing it'll hurt over a long day... at least until I get used to it.

- Checked the deck after mowing and it was absolutely caked. All the way down to the blade (almost). That being said, though - it didn't seem to inhibit the cut.

- Has far less vacuum than my Toro. But I always ran doubles on the Toro. Less vacuum might prove to mean missing matted grass...

- Controls very sensitive. Holding further out on the handles helps. NOTE: This isn't a complaint, just an observation. Will have adjusted to it by the end of the week, I'm sure.

- Built with the end user in mind. Everything is smart, easy, and solid.

- Changing the deck height is NOT a big deal like people have whined about. At least not coming from belt drive fixed decks. MUCH nicer to do the front caster spacers and then a quick turn with a 3/4" wrench in back to adjust rear height! No removing the blades and adjusting spacers. No leaving the back end at whatever height the factory deemed appropriate - leaving you with a pitched deck whether you want it or not.

- The lock pins on the front casters are less than ideal. Quite a hassle and don't look terribly reliable. Time will tell. I might just swap 'em out for the standard circular style pins on Toro/Lesco.

- Will be a challenge to use at full efficiency. The deck is 4" wider than the rear wheels, so when I make a pass and look for my line on the return pass, I immediately (and primarily out of habit) zone in on the wheel marks. Thus, I lose 8 inches of productivity. Again, not a complaint, just an observation of an adjustment I'll have to make. NOTE: taller grass makes it MUCH easier to see the distinction between the tire track and the actual cut edge.

- I notice that with the strut rods the deck has some minimal flex to it when tipping up/down the front end. Causes me concern b/c I'm conditioned to a flexing deck meaning serious welding in my near future. So we'll see how that goes.
---------------------------------

Okay, now I've got to go get the sulky on and get to work. I'll post more later.
5.5MPH with no sulky are you sure.

Not saying it can't be done. But I think you might be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
5.5MPH with no sulky are you sure.

Not saying it can't be done. But I think you might be mistaken.
It's a jog !! We need the sulky to truly take advantage of the speed . We cut mainly KBG and some rye and fescue , so we side discharge ALOT....But the bagger works great !! I Can't wait till leaf time :drinkup:......

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I finished today's work and will add a few more observations.

First off, I didn't buy the bagger. I'm hoping to save the money. Worst case scenario I'm gonna fabricate a system that'll allow me to use my Toro bag so that I only have to carry 1 around...

- Started out mulching. Mulched VERY well with the lawns dry. Drawback, however, is that it dumps each time you hit concrete and, thus, leaves grass-stain-tire-tracks.

- I'm amazed at the Dually's smooth controls. Coming from a T-Bar, these controls are so intuitive that I don't have to play it slow and careful around corners, etc.

- With this being a hydro and having a short deck, I can actually mow with just one perimeter pass around the yard! BIG time saver!

- Did better with thin, fine-bladed grass than my Toro. Toro always left stringers. PLUS I could do it at full speed - the Toro couldn't. Dually had stringers as well, but not so many - primarily where my season-long striping has heavily matted the grass.

- This mower has an amazingly smooth ride. Sections of lawns where I had to drop the Toro into 3rd and rattle across are no problem. I hit them at FULL SPEED with the Dually and get a soft ride and a smooth, even cut! I'm thrilled about this, as I hate to slow down for anything.

- I have a lawn that used to be a dairy farm. When I hit this lawn I STOPPED MULCHING AND WENT TO SIDE DISCHARGE. For the past two months I've had to double and triple cut this lawn every stinking week. Did the whole thing today in one cut! So for those of you who were wondering about side discharge, it passed this first real test with flying colors.

- SHORTCOMING of this mower. More specifically, of the deck: Since the rear tires are NOT as wide as the deck I found myself digging into graduated slopes on the uphill side of the mower. This would happen with any mower that has a fixed deck that's wider than the tires, but was a surprise, nonetheless. I didn't see that one coming. (Fortunately it was on some college rentals that are pure crap.)

- Quality of cut. As I suspected, this mower doesn't have a ton of vacuum. It DID, however cut each lawn on one pass at a level that any homeowner would be satisfied with. Due to the lack of vacuum, however, it was completely incapable of blowing off the concrete (something my Toro excels at). As well, it won't suck grass under the deck, no matter how slow you go, if you're trying to cut right up against concrete or a structure. This was a bit of a disappointment, as it required me to pull out my trimmer on two lawns where I would otherwise have been able to just mow and go. Just as a reminder, though, I'm used to ginormous vacuum from double blading my Toro. So the could be better, but I'm not going to mark this as a negative.

- GAS HOG! Now this may change, as the motor breaks in, but I ran out of gas after filling it up to the brim in only 3.8 engine hours! Shnikeys! Almost exactly 1 gallon per hour. My Toro, even with double blades and the sulky (and 1 less horsepower) is FAR more fuel efficient. But I suppose that's one of the trade offs of going hydro. If this doesn't improve I'm going to put my Lesco 5g tank on the Dually.

- Due to shorter deck, the mower doesn't snag on the way in and out of the trailer.

- Parking brake is so good I didn't need my Pro-Locker.

- DECK IS TOO LIGHT. After a few lawns of bouncing around (very possibly magnified by the sulky), I added a 7.5# dumbbell weight to each of the front casters. THIS MADE THE RIDE SOOOOOO SMOOTH. Still very easy to lift the front deck, but it no longer wants to pop a wheelie when I hit bumps in lawns.

- Headlights were great. It took me so long to mod my sulky that I ended up doing the last lawn in the twilight. Very nice... though the shadow of the mower itself is annoying.

- The mower only starts when the hydros are in neutral. Well I had to fiddle with the handles a couple of times to get the mower to start. I don't know if there's a spring to tighten them up or not, but if it's an issue on day one, I fear it'll only loosen up and get worse with time.

- I mentioned the flexible deck. While durability hasn't been verified, it is actually a BIG plus in getting a smooth ride and being able to mow at full speed.

- As for the speed, I was expecting more... It doesn't feel SLOW, but it sure doesn't feel fast. My Toro runs at 7.75mph, and before I replaced the transmission I'd taken from the Lesco it could do nearly 10mph. That being said, I think the speed is perfect for the unit. Faster would be more stressful. And I doubt the mower would cut well. So it isn't gonna win any drag races, but it is very efficient and you feel like you're cranking out the lawns.

- I didn't turf a single lawn. Well, except for the thin, wet one that peels up if you look at it cross-eyed. There were actually moments where I glanced down to the tires b/c I KNOW my Toro would've peeled out - but it never did. That's one of the great perks of the bigger tires. The velocity is lower, so less burnout.

- Striping was nice. I went over the neighbor's lawn twice in a row and it looked like a watermelon. Wiggly lines and all, as I learned to operate the hydro. :laugh:

- Handles were, in fact, mildly uncomfortable. I think I might buy some padded biking gloves to compensate.

-------------------

Tomorrow is a bit more of a test. Today's lawns were mostly flat and simple. Tomorrow I move up the mountain and do a LOT of hilly terrain. So stay posted and I'll give you more feedback tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yea I could jog behind a mower going 7mph to but I don't think anyone would come close to lasting "all day" even at 5.5 thats almost a jog
5.5mph is an 11 minute mile. That's cake. All you have to do is stride out. When I worked for LawnTamer back in my early 20's I'd run the T-Bar all day long at 6.2mph. No biggie.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
5.5mph is an 11 minute mile. That's cake. All you have to do is stride out. When I worked for LawnTamer back in my early 20's I'd run the T-Bar all day long at 6.2mph. No biggie.
You must be a thin man :laugh: Thanks for the time to do such a thorough review. I look foreword to mine arriving next week. Not the dually but with short perennial rye and Bermuda on flat ground all with irrigation I control I don't think it will be a problem.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Flat ground, cutting 1/2"-3/4" inch off with little/no moisture. I think your just a liberal pulling my chain :laugh: I hope.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.