Quickbooks Online and scheduling software...it's time to go to the cloud.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LupineLandscaping, Feb 20, 2016.

1. LupineLandscaping

LupineLandscaping LawnSite Member

Hey everyone. We've had several threads about this but I don't believe anything specific.

In the past we have used QXpress with Quickbooks Desktop and WorkWave with Quickbooks Online.

We are looking to move to Service Autopilot VERY SOON. Unfortunately, we will have to take a step back and move to Quickbooks Desktop for this move. SA does not sync with QB Online and by the time it is released, we will (most likely) be too busy. We believe SA to be the current leader in scheduling software for the green industry. I understand what their going through to prepare for QB Online but still don't feel they have made it a priority. No matter if you think it's right or wrong, cloud based software is where everything is going.

The questions below are for those that are using QB or QB Online in conjunction with a scheduling software. We do not consider QB to be a viable all-in-one software although it can be done for many start ups.

Questions for those using QB Online:
    What scheduling software do you use?
    Is anyone else waiting for SA to release QB Online sync?
    If so, what are your plans this year since most likely it will not be released before the season begins?
    Is anyone using Jobber or Clip with QB Online?
    If so, what are your thoughts on the sync? Is it 2 way? fully integrated?

For those using QB Desktop:
    What scheduling software do you use?
    Do you plan on moving to QB Online in the next 1-3 years?
    For those using Service Autopilot, do you plan on moving to QB Online after they release the sync?...did you know, most likely, your historical data will be lost and you will have to manually enter work from all prior years in order to retain that data?

Thanks for your input.
    Have a great day.

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I bought QB Desktop and was gonna sync with SA i was on the phone with them for over an hour setting it up . they were very, very helpful. However, After we got the initial sync and fixed all the problems I found that there were so many discrepencies between the two I ditched QB. It was such a mess. unfortunate that i wasted my time and money on buying QB desktop that i probably won't ever use.. i guess i don't know quickbooks that good could be part of it, but i was kinda frustrated with their sync myself. People seem to love it. I'm small enough to where I can get buy with doing everything in SA, its a little more work because their expense reports are truly garbage. but you can export to excel atleast then work with it that way. Its dumb that they rolled out all these new reports a few years back.. but nothing for expenses. I figure they just want to get your 20 bucks a month for QB sync so they don't want most of us to use their software for everything. I rather one software that can do everything, i hope they get it there one day. I couldn't run my business without SA though. its convenient for scheduling and billing.

3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The truth is you do not need to sync SA to your accounting software.
    Use SA or whatever program software you want to use for invoicing, scheduling ,routing, estimating, tracking etc
    Use QB for accounting, payroll tax reports.
    We use SA and have for several years. As you use it it builds much more useful data then quick books does.
    The only need initially is to import your customer base. But you can export to excel then import into SA.
    Some examples of not needing sync.
    Invoice 100 accounts through SA. Charge some credit cards today in SA (record total deposit into QB)
    Receive 10 checks tomorrow in SA record total deposit in SA
    Record time sheets in SA enter hours in QB if you use it for payroll.

What QB will not give you that SA will in reports.
    Time on each job, square feet serviced. all data to improve productivity.
    Is the sync nice to have? Yes
    Is it needed? NO!

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for that. i'll give it a whirl.

5. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious. What's the advantage of using QB's online? I sync Service Autopilot with the desktop QBs and haven't had any problems.

6. jc1

In Accounting reports
    other good reports Revenue by "zip code"
    Revenue by "Service"
    Daily "production"

Scheduling reports
    Client count by "service"
    Package sq ft
    job hours summary

Want to see exactly how much unapplied time your crews have track drive time with mobile.

7. jc1

Another report QB will not provide
    Job hours summary.

Here is an example for my lawn crew for one week.

Applied hours(hours punched on and off at each property all week) 44:43
    Total time clock hours (for the crew) 55:03

That is 10:02 hours for each employee on the crew that week of un applied time.
    This is why you need to know how to bill and sell each job.

8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Has SA given you Quickbooks guys any indication that their desktop sync will cease to exist on March 1st?

9. jc1

They have said that they will be able to offer online sync coming up, but never said no sync to desktop that i am aware of. The sync is a separate icon on my pc then QB sync icon so I dont believe it will be affected.

10. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't heard anything about this.
    Posted via Mobile Device