Quote Vehicle

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MDHomeSVCS, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

there was a time not long ago, when everyone had those…some people still holding on to them like 8 track tapes, demanding that they are making a come back…

We didn't have so many sets to switch them out, as much as we had them fro replacements because they kept falling off!

2. Service.com

Service.com Sponsor

I can see both. I personally wouldnt drive it to a quote. When I had a bmw back in the day I would switch cars at home to the truck or my roommates Taurus to take to a quote. Solid car though! Love Porsche. I liked the feel of on par with the people I was quoting, not saying they were beneath me by any means, just how I kinda saw it being that our industry typically does not have the nicer side of things when we show up to work. Now pulling up at a million dollar house to quote? The porsche would definitely make a better impression, than at an average ranch type house.

3. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've pulled my trailer, loaded, to do bigger presentations. I want the prospective customer to see I have the equipment and know they can depend on me for their work.

4. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

They may be like 8-track tapes. But I rock a set on the back tail gate and both sides of the truck. Got a catch phrase at the top, a list of my services, and a contact number. I get calls at the red light, on the job, and in fact, I had one woman see my magnets today at the red light and roll her window down and asked if I had a card on me. I followed her around the corner, a quick chat, and sold a service. One more account marked on my marketing list thanks go the goold ol' 8-tracks. :clapping: By the way, I've yet to have one fall off. Mine are on 24/7 besides when I wash the truck. Even hauled a load of compost last week and this week, got the tail gate all muddy washing them on and left them on there and they still stuck. I paid $47.00 for three of the thicker mil magnets, much thicker than what Vista Print sells. That $47.00 paid itself off within the first week. :laugh:

5. PicturePerfectLawns

PicturePerfectLawns LawnSite Gold Member

Makes sense. Funny story, I took the Prius just the other day to bid a job. The guy asks, "Do I have to supply the equipment? Or do you have your own equipment?" I almost rolled on the floor laughing in front of him. And then politely asked, did you ask that because of the Prius? Yepp!

6. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: Brilliant! :laugh:

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Why wouldn't you letter or wrap your truck if they are on 24/7?

Just curious.........
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you guys have small 4 cylinder trucks over there? Found one… http://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/series/tacoma/
    Its not only a quote vehicle but also back up, take tools, plants, a little mulch or what ever to jobs in an emergency. Bit more practical than just a car and is what customer would expect you to rock up in!

The thought of going to a quote in a Porsche I think sends the wrong message, like the guy on here some time ago that used a Hummer to tow his trailer! Tosser or poser comes to mind! Im talking for work, not daily drive!

I would also assume (right or wrongly) that servicing/running costs would be much greater on a car like that as opposed to a normal everyday small truck or car.

All that said, there is a cost involved in buying a dedicated quote vehicle. Lets say $20k. Thats a lot of fuel to burn in your current truck to make up the difference.

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I use for my quote vehicle. Going to wrap it this year.

P.S. Plow is not attached, but would be cool as heck if it was...and it worked.

20140311_074031.jpg

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I always have mine fall off…I think its because they get cold?