1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Quote write up

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by FitzRightMowingService, Mar 20, 2020.

1. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

When sending out quotes to a client do you list everything that they will be getting charged for in detail?

We have been in business for a short time but I do not believe that a client needs to know everything about the pricing grade.

Below is an example of what my write ups usually look like depending on how much detail is needed. We try to fit in as much detail as possible in order to make sure that the client and us are on the page.

Is there a better way to write this up or should I continue doing it like this?

- Cut back branches from the tree in the front yard and remove saplings growing under the tree.

- Cut back tree branches from the tree by the shed and by the fire pit.

- Remove the overgrown weed bush that is growing by the fire pit

- Cut the saplings that are growing on the backside of the fence in the backyard by the school

- Clean up the flower beds in the front and backyard

- Haul away the lumber that is on the left side of the house and also in the backyard

FYI: Stump killer will be applied after removal of saplings in order to stop or hinder regrowth

$300.00
    + haul away
    Total=$335.00

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I like it. Always be as specific as possible when defining work areas and the work to be done. Maybe on the the stump part I'd change it to say just "to slow regrowth". I would also add a line to all invoices saying The price is for the above services only and any other services that were discussed during the estimate and are not listed above are not included in these services.

3. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah I would omit the stump growth part. For 1, I am guessing you are unlicensed based off of your “quote form”, and for 2, it leaves people room to complain. That stuff never seems to work the way it should

4. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

Thanks for the input.

You do not need a license to apply stump killer here in Nebraska. I have been using it for awhile now and have yet to have any issues. Since I'm a good listener I will not add to any other quotes.

5. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Senior Member

Unless it is a commercial job with a huge retainer, I would make it as general as possible. Even on commercial work I would still keep it as general as possible. This is where knowing and selecting tour clients is crucial (i. e.- no stiffs).

6. OP
    OP
    FitzRightMowingService

I'm a residential guy