• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Radios vs Cell phones

Ocutter

LawnSite Senior Member
Im looking through Gemplers catalog and I see a Motorola 1- watt radio and a 2- watt radio. The two watt says a 5 mile range with a clear line of sight. Ive been debating for some time about the pros and cons with radios and cells. I need some help. Does anyone use the radios outside a yard, nursery or warehouse. Are they just like CB radios? Thanks.

Nathan

LawnSite Member
I have used those radios up skiing. They don't go too far unless you have clear air. Unless you have crews very close together get a cell phone. If you want instant access like a radio use the nextel phones they are pretty cool.

guntruck

LawnSite Senior Member
We have the 2 mile rangeers. They are great for the job site but other than that i dont think there worth a whole lot. I too, would recommend the nextel's, phone and 2 way radio all in 1, pretty good plans too.

JVS

LawnSite Member
We use trunk mounted radios . Although you must be in the truck to hear them its saves time, we pay $25 per radio for unlimited airtime per month. We work off our own repeater that we were set up with our own frequency, we have a "small" version of what police and emts use.

We tried cell phones but are too costly.