Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced two of the old Toro 300's with the newer 340's on my current job. Now the customer wants me to "shorten" the distance of the radius on one of his other 300's (Like down to 8'!). The nozzle cap is already turned down tight, would tilting the body be a quick fix? His system wasn't very well designed to begin with. The stream actually passes through his neighbors chain link fencing which is only about 8' from the head placed next to his house foundation.

The Toro site does have an interactive manual on adjustments, etc., but the older 300's like the ones I'm looking at aren't shown. There is no "cap" to lift off to get to a radius adjustment. How do you reduce the radius on these, or can you?

~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56,283 Posts
Try to get 01 nozzles. They don't adjust, but its lower-angle throw is well under 20 feet, and if you can tilt the head towards the fence, you'll get some distance reduction in that direction. The fact that the old 300's had no adjustments was both blessing and curse. Extra work during an install, but no adjustments to ever go out of whack. Putting stream rotors in an eight-foot strip is kind of odd. If you could talk the homeowner into the extra work, you could add more smaller heads in the area, like eight-foot radius mist heads, maybe, both near the house, and at the borderline opposite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wet_Boots said:
Try to get 01 nozzles. They don't adjust, but its lower-angle throw is well under 20 feet, and if you can tilt the head towards the fence, you'll get some distance reduction in that direction. The fact that the old 300's had no adjustments was both blessing and curse. Extra work during an install, but no adjustments to ever go out of whack. Putting stream rotors in an eight-foot strip is kind of odd. If you could talk the homeowner into the extra work, you could add more smaller heads in the area, like eight-foot radius mist heads, maybe, both near the house, and at the borderline opposite.
Originaly I worked on Zone 1, then 7, then when I thought I was finally done... he took me to Zone 2 and said they also needed adjusting. Zone 2 had five 300's on a 3/4" lateral. The zone wrapped around the front corner of the house, so there were 300's actually facing each other only 8' apart!

One of the 300's on the end of the zone only had a 90* disc in it. So I ended up replacing it with a 180* disc robbed from the old 300 I replaced with a newer 340. At least this allowed water to reach down into the dry areas of the narrow strip. Certainly not the best fix, but it was all we had at the time.

We discussed how the 300/340 Multi's are for larger turf areas, and couldn't figure out why the installer way back then put these in there. Now if I were to go back and change out the heads in the narrow part of the zone to spray heads, it wouldn't be right to leave the multi's on in front of the house on teh same zone then would it? According to everything I've read and studied you shouldn't mix heads. Does this hold true for spray/multi's?

Oh yeah, even with being the "new guy" around here and I do appreciate everything I've learned here, count me in with the :gunsfirin I hate Toro heads crowd. :D

~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
AceSprinkleRx said:
We discussed how the 300/340 Multi's are for larger turf areas, and couldn't figure out why the installer way back then put these in there. Now if I were to go back and change out the heads in the narrow part of the zone to spray heads, it wouldn't be right to leave the multi's on in front of the house on teh same zone then would it? According to everything I've read and studied you shouldn't mix heads. Does this hold true for spray/multi's?
Split it into two zones. Sounds to me (5 heads on 3/4"!!!) that once you change to sprays your going to have pretty underwelming pressure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56,283 Posts
Actually, you could mix mist heads with Toro 300's with 03 or Omni nozzles, especially if the heads or nozzles have pressure regulation (Rainbird) or nozzles with built-in flow restrictors (Toro) A half-circle 8-foot radius nozzle uses about 1/2 gpm.

Don't waste too much effort hating Toro. There's more to come. Wait until you see a Toro hydraulic controller! :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
Wet_Boots said:
Actually, you could mix mist heads with Toro 300's with 03 or Omni nozzles, especially if the heads or nozzles have pressure regulation (Rainbird) or nozzles with built-in flow restrictors (Toro) A half-circle 8-foot radius nozzle uses about 1/2 gpm.

Don't waste too much effort hating Toro. There's more to come. Wait until you see a Toro hydraulic controller! :p
ROFLMAO, what's wrong w/ a custom or freestyle hydraulic controller? Its the hydraulic valves you can't find that deserve cussing. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
Wet_Boots said:
Actually, you could mix mist heads with Toro 300's with 03 or Omni nozzles, especially if the heads or nozzles have pressure regulation (Rainbird) or nozzles with built-in flow restrictors (Toro) A half-circle 8-foot radius nozzle uses about 1/2 gpm.

Don't waste too much effort hating Toro. There's more to come. Wait until you see a Toro hydraulic controller! :p
Yeah, and then have to replace that spider in the back, and you have a NC and the supplyhouse sends you a NO or PT spider and the damn holes don't match.

bicmudpuppy said:
ROFLMAO, what's wrong w/ a custom or freestyle hydraulic controller? Its the hydraulic valves you can't find that deserve cussing.
Or the gophers chewed through the tubing, giving themselves indoor plumbing, and the ground has enough sand that the leak never shows on the surface.

I am going to look into one of those high dollar metal detectors and see if they can find the stainless band on those hyd. valves. Not buy, but rent one to see.

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
AceSprinkleRx said:
I replaced two of the old Toro 300's with the newer 340's on my current job. Now the customer wants me to "shorten" the distance of the radius on one of his other 300's (Like down to 8'!). The nozzle cap is already turned down tight, would tilting the body be a quick fix? His system wasn't very well designed to begin with. The stream actually passes through his neighbors chain link fencing which is only about 8' from the head placed next to his house foundation.

The Toro site does have an interactive manual on adjustments, etc., but the older 300's like the ones I'm looking at aren't shown. There is no "cap" to lift off to get to a radius adjustment. How do you reduce the radius on these, or can you?

~
If he wants the stream rotors, maybe consider putting in the Nelson MP rotators. They adjust down to 8'.

Jon, those Toro heads can be 2.0 gpm heads so 5 would be 10.0 gpm @ under 5 fps velocity.

Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,781 Posts
jerryrwm said:
Yeah, and then have to replace that spider in the back, and you have a NC and the supplyhouse sends you a NO or PT spider and the damn holes don't match.

Or the gophers chewed through the tubing, giving themselves indoor plumbing, and the ground has enough sand that the leak never shows on the surface.

I am going to look into one of those high dollar metal detectors and see if they can find the stainless band on those hyd. valves. Not buy, but rent one to see.

Jerry
Let me know how the metal detector works. My son wants one, and I keep thinking a "good one" would see the stainless on a hydraulic valve, or even the coil or screws on an electric valve when the locator just dosen't want to find the hot spot. They got such pretty price tags on good ones though.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jerryrwm said:
If he wants the stream rotors, maybe consider putting in the Nelson MP rotators. They adjust down to 8'.
Yeah I was looking at them in the Green Mag tonight and thought the same thing. Think I'll wait until his check clears before I mention it! :)

~
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top