Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed a contract for a landscaper to extend my existing railroad tie wall. He told me he would be using new ties. Now, he says new ties are not available. The used ties he wants to use are ugly. Do you know of any dark coating that could be applied so the used ties will more closely resemble the ties of the existing wall?

·
Registered
428 Posts
He's probably right (about not getting new ones)--they come in ratings: #1's, 2's and I believe 3's. 1's obviously being the better tie (and most expensive). I would wonder what kind of landscaper wouldn't know that new ties don't exist to tell you that's what he was installing and then coming back to tell you that he couldn't get them. I don't know how big your wall is gonna be-but for everyone's safetyI hope it's not too big. With all that aside-I am sure you could paint them in cresote (~spelling) which is basically like a dark, thick tarry paint. I would be really weary of this guy, though-sounds like he hasn't put up too many walls before.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks for your reply! I have been told by a number of people that it's not possible to buy creosote. This whole thing has been such a headache!
Where do you live and how much do you need?

·
Registered
428 Posts
that's not that big--honestly, though--I might would get some other ideas from other contractors. I don't have anything to gain (i'm in GA)--so take my advice if you want-but anyone that puts tie walls would know that you can't buy new ties. (unless they're stealing them from RR company. Just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Nontecher,

Only asked because I have almost a full gallon I'm sure I'll never use and would give it to you if you lived here in NJ and could pick it up, but it's probably not enough anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Do you know where you would have purchased it? I've searched on-line most of the weekend and can't find it at all! These railroad ties will look awful if they are not coated with something.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
that's not that big--honestly, though--I might would get some other ideas from other contractors. I don't have anything to gain (i'm in GA)--so take my advice if you want-but anyone that puts tie walls would know that you can't buy new ties. (unless they're stealing them from RR company. Just my opinion, though.
They are turning all the tracks into walking/biking trails around here and used to stack up the ties and gave them away for free. I took a coupl hundred at the time. Man those are heavy! That was about 6 years ago and i think my back still hurts from that! Anyway i sold them all off with an online add and made incredible money on them. I never used 1. Everybody around here wants new wood.

·
Registered
428 Posts
nontecher--

why, may I ask are you doing railroad ties anyways?? is it about saving $$$?? I prefer the much nicer looking block-type walls. Once they are in, they are permanent as well (given the proper drainage behind them). I understand you said they were adding to an existing wall I believe?? Just wondering-b/c in a few years you're just gonna be replacing these rotted ties with new ones or retaining wall blocks one. Did you get other bids for this job? I like the idea of getting a few ideas from other people. Seems to help you make a better, more informed decision from other people who may open your mind to ideas that you didn't think of beforehand.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
nontecher--

why, may I ask are you doing railroad ties anyways?? is it about saving $$$?? I prefer the much nicer looking block-type walls. Once they are in, they are permanent as well (given the proper drainage behind them). I understand you said they were adding to an existing wall I believe?? Just wondering-b/c in a few years you're just gonna be replacing these rotted ties with new ones or retaining wall blocks one. Did you get other bids for this job? I like the idea of getting a few ideas from other people. Seems to help you make a better, more informed decision from other people who may open your mind to ideas that you didn't think of beforehand.
real railroad ties last a long long long long time. They are so heavely treated they weigh a ton. They can and do rot however if they are sitting in dirt. But if they are set correctly and only touching stone they will last forever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The thought of the landscapers that I talked to was that since the existing railroad tie wall is still good it would be best to make the addition the same type of wall. I did get other bids for this job. This guy seemed to know what he was talking about at the time. I did ask about the Unilock blocks. I was told that they wouldn't look right because they have a setback and they would be meeting a straight railroad tie wall that has no setback.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks! Do you know where you would have purchased it? I've searched on-line most of the weekend and can't find it at all! These railroad ties will look awful if they are not coated with something.
Sorry, but I don't remember. It's been on a shelf in my basement for several years. The can is marked with the manufacturer's name, "Ecological and Specialty Products, Inc., 111 Fifth Ave., Paterson, NJ 07524", but when I tired Google, I found nothing. There's also a lot of precautionary warnings on the can. Looks like it may have, indeed, been outlawed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you very very much! I will pass this info on to the landscaper! Hopefully this will put an end to my headache! Just for my info, do you know if what he says is true when he says you can't install a unilock block wall to the end of a vertical railroad tie wall?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.