Rain Bird DV Jar Top Valves

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
I came across a system today with these valves. One of them had a hairline crack in the body just below the jar top threads. Cut it out and replaced with a standard DV 100. I don't see these valves for sale anywhere and was wondering if they were short lived discontinued or box store only valves. I think the model is actually 100 JTV.

1631130613640.png

Last edited:

greenmonster304

LawnSite Platinum Member
One of my suppliers carries or carried them. We are a big 2400T market and I think the RB rep wanted them to push them. I tried a few years ago, meh

I came across a system today with these valves. One of them had a hairline crack in the body just below the jar top threads. Cut it out and replaced with a standard DV 100. I don't see these valves for sale anywhere and was wondering if they were short lived discontinued or box store only valves. I think the model is actually 100 JTV.

View attachment 455520
These valves were dropped 6 or 7 years ago by Rain Bird.

I'm guessing you can't say why. Should I expect the same failure on the others?
Too few customers were buying them. RB raises the bar on the failure/return rate every couple of years. At that time, the rise of bar causes RB to make what we call a "Fix/Drop" decision. After analysis of what it would take (time and money vs expected sales) to drop the return rate below the new threshold, the decision was made to drop the product.

Optimal Irrigation Corp.

LawnSite Member
@Ron Wolfarth would you be able to explain jar tops from the manufacturer's end in terms of why? As in why even make these valves? Are there really that many techs in the field who don't have a screwdriver / nut driver.... but have a wrench who swear by these things? Just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

@Ron Wolfarth would you be able to explain jar tops from the manufacturer's end in terms of why? As in why even make these valves? Are there really that many techs in the field who don't have a screwdriver / nut driver.... but have a wrench who swear by these things? Just seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
I was RB's Residential Valve Product Manager for a few years. I feel the same way you do. RB was late to the jar top party because those before me felt the same way. But there was no denying that a segment of customers were buying a lot of jar top valves. Supposedly (?) the reason for the appeal is that you can open the valve without tools. Members here can comment on their reasons for liking them. So, RB developed and introduced one. It was a "Me, too!" product that we thought was better than the competition, but customer's did not see enough benefit to switch from the product they knew.
There are some manufacturing challenges in a design that has a large thread like on a jar top. Roundness is important to a good seal and the ease of installing/removing the bonnet or bonnet ring (depending on the design of the valve). Having a bonnet thread/ring part that is separate from the bonnet helps with that, but increases cost, a key factor in customer appeal.
Bottom line, RB decided to exit that segment of the business.
Perhaps jar top valve fans on here can comment on what they see as the benefits besides "The guy who taught me irrigation used them, so I do too".

Top Forums