1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Rain Bird ESP MC problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Pittsburgh, PA

I installed a Rain Bird ESP-MC32 controller at a commercial job about 3 months ago. The $2000 controller has been working fine until I tried to add a Rain Bird wireless rain sensor. After wiring the receiver in, I turned the power back on & noticed that the receiver did not have power. I checked my wiring & still - no power. Just for kicks & giggles I tried to run through the system - NOTHING! I RASTERed the controller & all zones were "fail". Wow, an internal circuit problem? After contacting my supplier & Rain Bird technical assistance it was determined that the panel was fried - lightning, power surge? I took the controller to my supplier & just for fun we plugged it in & RASTERed it with a solenoid wired into a zone - RASTERed fine - no problems. We added a wireless rain sensor & bingo! - fail again. My supplier stated that he had the same thing happen to another contractor using the same components.
    Has anyone had similar problems with this controller? Am I to believe that this expensive Rain Bird controller is not compatible with a Rain Bird Sensor?