Lawn Care Forum banner

Rain Gauges I Have 5 In Place

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Finecut 
#1 ·
I have over 50 lawns i mow weekly all in about a 40 mile area.
So for the last 3 years i have rain gauges in 5 areas that i mow.
This way i know how much rain all my lawns get. The rain gauges
are the big ones about 2 feet long, YOU can get them at Menards
about $8.00 each. Does any one else do this or am i the only one.
CLARKE'S TOTAL LAWN CARE

#4 ·
If i show up to mow the grass and see 3 days after it has rained
and i see that place has had say 1 1/2 inches of rain, and i know that its going to raining more soon then i would mow the grass
a 1/2 inches lower so that account won't get out of hand by growing faster because it had a lot of rain. If the rain gauge is empty then i mow it higher sothe grass shades itself and does not
dry out. this is what i call (LAWN MANIPULATION). THATS WHERE
YOU MOW THE GRASS TO YOUR BENEFIT. Rain gauges are good.

#5 ·
clark thats a great idea, lets say it was real dry for 4 days then it rained for 2 days straight about 3 inches of rain. and you go and cut the lawn and you can't because of how wet it is. so the next time it rains like that for 2 days you 'll just know not to cut the lawn , i can see those being a good idea, but all my lawns are within a 15 mile raduis. but a great idea

#6 ·
Originally posted by CLARKE
If the rain gauge is empty then i mow it higher sothe grass shades itself and does not
dry out. this is what i call (LAWN MANIPULATION). THATS WHERE
YOU MOW THE GRASS TO YOUR BENEFIT. Rain gauges are good.
clarke--sounds like a super system you've got going. I still don't underdstand it but it sounds like you do.

my system is: when I get to a lawn, I look at it and I can tell if it has had enough rain and then I cut it. then... the next week when I return, I can see how it has grown and then I cut it. simple, but it works for me.

GEO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.