1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

rain rain and pre

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFREAMGREEN, Feb 11, 2020.

1. DFREAMGREEN

DFREAMGREEN LawnSite Member

anybody in Georgia or Alabama playing in the rain. I want to get my first round of pre out this week but it’s rained for about 7 days and it’s not stopping under flash flood so I guess I have to wait

kemco likes this.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rain is great for pre-emergents. Probably be more effective. Sunlight degrades most pre-emergents.
    Excess rain--then I am not so sure.
    Do you mean applied as a liquid? Or as a granular--more common in my area.
    The label probably does not prohibit rain afterwards.
    Some say it is cheaper as granular--because the labor cost is less. Equipment is simple. Of course, you are applying the fertilizer at the same time.

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Pre-emergents are not washed away by rain. They attach themselves to the soil particles.

4. OP
    OP
    DFREAMGREEN

DFREAMGREEN LawnSite Member

Resoult liquid

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Eventually, if you keep getting flooding rains, that pre will weaken and you get breakthrough.

kemco and hort101 like this.
  6. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

That is only because they have been in saturated soils. The lack of oxygen is what will cause them to breakdown. We had the wettest year on record last year in my area and I had no breakthrough. I use Prodiamine WSP because it is cheap and provides better coverage than granular, especially along edges.

hort101 likes this.
  7. takervader

takervader LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Got mine out before this onslaught. I saw another torrential storm coming and got my azz in gear.

Won't matter if we have to build an Ark to get around though.

8. lawnrx

lawnrx LawnSite Member
    from ga

I'm trying to get this round done. But the rain is slowing me down a lot.

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats.

10. Utopia Yards

Utopia Yards LawnSite Member

All pre emergent herbicides can leach downward in the soil and out of the weed root zone. It's all about the individual chemicals water solubility level. Prodiamine is the least water soluble of the DNA class of herbicides (Oryzalin, Pendimethalin) which is why it can last longer than the others. Yes there is microbial activity that also breaks down the molecule but excessive rain can shorten the duration.