Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
so far 1/8 " won't break any drought but it does help break the ultra dry air and could help with typical afternoon thunderstorms. I let my own lawn go dormant this year after $300+ water bills last year. I had to water under the trees as the leaves blocked the little rain we did have. Now come on Gustov!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Here in Bristol it has rained all day Tuesday and half a day yesterday. Woke up this morning to get started and it came another good rain. No way to get all mowing done this week. But will be mowing all customers next week. I was getting ready to shut it down last week with people canceling service but now its going to be another few weeks it looks like. With the leaves coming up next.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We've had over 4 inches in the past 2 days. Charlotte broke a record at the airport for August 25th, I think. 3.98" in 24 hours. And they got about another 4 inches or so the next day. That made for some bad flooding in parts of the city.

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
so far 1/8 " won't break any drought but it does help break the ultra dry air and could help with typical afternoon thunderstorms. I let my own lawn go dormant this year after $300+ water bills last year. I had to water under the trees as the leaves blocked the little rain we did have. Now come on Gustov!!!
You realize hurricanes have to hit someone hard first before the good after effects come.......lets not wish a big hurricane on anyone.

We have been bone dry here in the upper Midwest until last night. 1.3 inches of needed rain. Hope all you wishing for some get it soon.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Of cource I only want a tropical storm strength low pressure front to move this way. The fact is that if you live along the gulf coast there is a price to pay. The downside is the destruction at the coast but the upside is the drought relief in Atlanta and the south east . Mother nature can be a bit$#. I hope the people of the coast learned a lesson and built a cat 5 home or got the hell out permanently. I feel for the people and their loss but to start all over in the direct path of a known Hurricane area is ...well insane to me. Just like the guy who's house is hit by a tornado in tornado alley. He gets on the news and talks about rebuilding. Not me . There are places in this country that have more moderate weather conditions.

·
Moderator, Friend, Angel
36,324 Posts
Of cource I only want a tropical storm strength low pressure front to move this way. The fact is that if you live along the gulf coast there is a price to pay. The downside is the destruction at the coast but the upside is the drought relief in Atlanta and the south east . Mother nature can be a bit$#. I hope the people of the coast learned a lesson and built a cat 5 home or got the hell out permanently. I feel for the people and their loss but to start all over in the direct path of a known Hurricane area is ...well insane to me. Just like the guy who's house is hit by a tornado in tornado alley. He gets on the news and talks about rebuilding. Not me . There are places in this country that have more moderate weather conditions.
I agree with that. Without Hurricane's, much of the country would be desert like for many years at a time. Tropical storms replenish the ground water tables, lakes, rivers and streams. Just hit and miss afternoon storms won't do that. Hurricanes are a neccessary evil and I don't wish them on anybody. But they are nature's built in drought busters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
We Have Had A Lot Of Rain Here In Connecticut But The Past 2 Weeks Have Been Dry.would Be Nice To Get Some More.cant Complain Though,im Still Cutting,usually By This Time Of The Season Im Done.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
this is a typical Aug dry spell for our area. Usuall the end of summer is controlled by a High pressure ridge that sits over us and blocks out the rain. The remnants of storms help push the ridge out and Sept. restores the cool season grass and its time to aerate and dethatch as well as seeding. I don't stop mowing until around thanksgiving for many of my lawns. Leaf maintenance begins late Sept. and goes into Dec. This push of rain will help jump start things but more is needed to harvest the remaining cuts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We've had over 4 inches in the past 2 days. Charlotte broke a record at the airport for August 25th, I think. 3.98" in 24 hours. And they got about another 4 inches or so the next day. That made for some bad flooding in parts of the city.
Last week we got over 20" of rain in 48 hrs. I would hate to see what that would have done to you guys!

We can get 2-3 inches in an afternoon storm during the summer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What is this "rain" that you speak of? Some sort of magical irrigation system in the sky? I'm afraid I am not familiar with it, although I have heard tales of it.

Less than 1" since beginning of June here. You guys think you have drought conditions.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I bought a new lazer in the middle of the drought and just want some green grass to mow!!!!I did cut some lawns last week that were shaggy and a few had shaded areas where the grass was high. I need a few more hrs to do the first oil change

·
Banned
23,143 Posts
Wow, it's actually raining in Central Virginia. 3 days of nice steady rain. :dancing::clapping:
I hear ya, Chesterfield County here and we had a drought just like this one last year.
The whole bunch of counties all around me is on mandatory water restrictions.

One more year of this and I'm not sure I'll be in this game anymore,
going to start studying again.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
we got about an inch out of the past 3 days of light rain. Just what we needed to jump start things. 2 large nursery retailers went out of business here locally . I can only guess it was last yrs severe drought and the reluctance of the unknown about this years economic scare. Our gov uses us as pawns in their game to stay in control.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.