Rain - Tire Marks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Michael Ray, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Michael Ray

Michael Ray LawnSite Senior Member

First full time year here. I'm inside today because it is dumping buckets. Obviously tomorrow I'd like to get going first thing in the morning but I have a bunch of new accounts and I'm worried about the ZTR leaving muddy tracks from the soaked ground. Any tips or obvious things I'm missing? .... other than waiting an extra day of course....

2. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few properties that have some saturation even after a week of no rain. I let them know ahead of time that it can and probably will leave mud tracks in that area but after another cut they'll be gone. So far none have complained about it. Probably because I explained it to them upfront. Now if the entire property is soaked you might want to wait.

Michael Ray and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  3. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on how firm the soil is and the customer you are dealing with. During the summer months the ground is usually firm in my area and sometimes leave mud tracks but tell the customer what they are. I will usually call/text them and explain they will disappear shortly and they're not ruts. If the soil is soft I won't run my big ztr's over it even if it don't leave ruts.

hort101, bluetruck, Dawson and 3 others like this.
  4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

As much as it sucks and it does, we will pull out our small fleet of 21" commercial Hondas and even do our "big yards" to avoid rutting. That being said big to us is nothing like some of yall. Our largest has about half an acre of actual turf. That's what we are doing today. Rained out yesterday, rained all day Sunday, it's soggy. And in some areas Ill have 2 or 3 guys just use trimmers to "mow". Not profitable but keeps the customer and us on schedule.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Lighter mower with oversize wheel/tires

SAM_2812.JPG

6. Eco Land and Lawn Care

Eco Land and Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I'm going to have to do this to my old Scag now that I've seen it done. Can you give me some tire wheel sizes you used? Also, I assume you dropped the back of the deck to compensate?

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

A few years back we had a lawn that didn't get fully cut until the first or second week of June because they didn't want tire tracks.

It's over 3 acres...we ain't doing it with a 21".

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Stock walker wheels for model c & b. 18 x 8.5-10 lowest hole puts rear blade tip at 2.5 " with 4 -1/4 " spacers and 1- 1/16" spacer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

3 acres with 21" why not? LOL

grassmonkey0311 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  10. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

I've mowed 1.5 acres with a push one time when the only ztr I took with me broke down. It built character as my Dad always says.

Lithium Man and DavidK469 like this.