Rainbird DV100 leaking problems

OP
H

HardRain

LawnSite Member
The meter works; it's just not sensitive enough for a slow leak.
I flushed both of them again today and stuck my finger in the downstream side. There were still small particles sitting in the bottom of the pipe below the solenoid port. I removed those. The second valve seems ok now. I turned it off and on a dozen times and there's no leak. The first one still has a slow leak. It must be cracked somewhere but I can't see it. I'm going to replace it next week.

I checked the controller and it wasn't putting out any power.

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
If the valve is seeping/weeping than I think the problem would be diaphragm or hairline crack in seat. I don't think solenoid port.
If it's so slow that it doesn't register and replacement is a huge pain than I think SAM heads.

Last edited:

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
As much as it's a pain- these scenarios are the exact reason we try avoid gut swaps and just install an entirely new valve. When the valve is pulled out we connect a pipe to the main and flush wide open for a few minutes. I will say when it's a DV I still gut swap- though If visually can see the body has different variations from the old valve/ new valve in which at that point I replace the whole valve.

OP
H

HardRain

LawnSite Member
I don't see how SAM heads would help. The pressure would just build up until it flowed past them. Then there would be a forever muddy puddle somewhere, the reason why backflows are mandated.

I've had almost perfect results with gut and top swaps with the exception of Toro 254 (always cut out and replace, but also always installed in thick jasmine beds) and the occasional DV100.

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
If the valve is seeping/weeping than I think the problem would be diaphragm or hairline crack in seat. I don't think solenoid port.
If it's so slow that it doesn't register and replacement is a huge pain than I think SAM heads.
I didn't know valves cried :)
Weeping.JPG

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Had a call recently of a leak. Went out found no evidence of a leak but there was low head drain out and the lowest head was next to the road which made it more noticeable. I installed SAM heads on the low side next to road. Customer stated they were watering often, probably daily, to make the grass grow. To verify it was not a seeping valve I would take a meter reading before I left and instructed customer to take another reading BEFORE he watered again. Did this more than once and SOB would never take a reading. Anyway seems the SAM heads fixed the problem which was never a real problem just the customer was watering so frequently the low head drain out was noticeable

M L Thomas

LawnSite Member
FWIW - We are seeing DV valves starting to weep within 6 months of install. Usually not more than 1 on a site or per install. Upon disassembly can find no debris in valve or anything visibly wrong with either diaphragm, body, bonnet or solenoid. We have been replacing everything but the body, what we call topping the valve, and getting no more call backs on those valves.

Local Rain Bird dist says they are not hearing this from anybody else?

I know sometimes debris will push out of the valve upon disassembly, but not every time.

irritation

LawnSite Platinum Member
You need to verify the valve is actually weeping.
I see this problem this time of year when it's dry and watering often in clay soil.
It's usually low head drainage. A SAM head is useless if it has the slightest debris in the check valve. A bit of gravel placed around the head can also help.

Top Forums