Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 20 year old unit. Home owner seems to have replaced 500ma fuse with 1000ma fuse,

Display does not come on (I.e. unit completely dead) but fuse is not blow.

Placing multi meter across fuse shows no voltage. How to check if the unit is dead?Could the unit have shorted but the higher rated fuse did not blow causing the unit to fry?

What is the modern-day equivalent Rainbird unit to replace this controller?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
They're only intended to last 6 or 7 years?
The design specification is 7 years for residential products. This means that in a normal bell shaped curve of product life, 7 years should be in the back tail of the curve. (Nearly all last at least that long with some even 3 times that long.)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Disconnect the original controller and give it a Viking's funeral. {applying 400 volts to the old controller will release any left over blue smoke and free the controller's electronic soul}
I think RB stills sells cans of replacement smoke....because, of course, once the smoke escapes, they quit working. 🤣

·
Registered
657 Posts
Checking a fuse by testing voltage across the contacts will not show voltage if the fuse is good as the potential is the same. Try removing the fuse and test it using the continuity feature of a meter. Sounds like the step down transformer went bad. Power the unit up and test for low voltage on each side of the fuse holder, using the positive lead and the negative lead to a good ground. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
For sure push for an upgrade. To me it sounds like a bad transformer. However, it's best to Always start at the source- Is it plugged in? Does the plug outlet have power? GFI, Breaker? Is the transformer prior to the fuse outputting 24-27volts ? Check for continuity of the fuse. Ohm test all valves for shorts/breaks. perform a voltage test per zone . Just a context example- Starting at Test #1 and Ending @ test #10 will give your answer every time. Instead of jumping in the middle @ test #4

1 - 9 of 9 Posts