1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Rainbird ESP TM Pwr Off Error

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by SprinklerGuy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a problem and Rainbird will not answer their gd phones so I will bring it to you guys....

RBESP TM timer.....new installation....10' of wire to valves.....Rainbird DV valves.....

The first timer showed the error the next day after installation....reset w/ battery out and power unplugged....did it again the next day. I took the timer back and swapped it. worked for precisely 8 days....it did it again yesterday.

1 fuse is fine
    2 solenoids all ohm the same and are fine
    3 wiring is not nicked
    4 wtf is the problem?

figure power surge....just coincidence...lots of storms lately......

I just want to talk to RB to find out if this is typical of what would happen during a power surege...

If it is, I don't like it. I would rather the timer revert to a program of some sort....

I wonder if there is a filter/surge suppressor I can put in to protect this pos....

help me please.... ;)

2. londonrain

londonrain LawnSite Silver Member

That is not common for a esp. I looked at a esp yesterday with the same PWR off error. The house was struck by lighting and did $5000.00 in damage. The fuse had blown on the esp, replace fuse and worked just fine. Since you have already changed the clock once I would run an extension cord from a different power source and see if it is the power source giving you problems.

3. londonrain

londonrain LawnSite Silver Member

One other thing, on the Rain Bird plug in transformers, they have a screw so you can screw it into the outlet. You know that is a big transformer with some weight and if you are plugging into a outlet that is old or not flush with the plate, it could be not getting current, that could be the problem.

4. SprinklerGuy

Could be.....I'll check it....this one does not have a screw btw.

Maybe I'll camp out in the garage for a few days and watch it to see when it happens.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its the sprinkler gnomes!

[​IMG]

You think they are just there for decoration, but at night, they wreck havoc on the irrigation systems.

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

They also wreak havoc. :p

7. PurpHaze

These tools work wonders on those yard gnomes. If that doesn't work then use them on the controller. :)

Sledge Hammers2.jpg

8. PurpHaze

Actually... here's what's going on inside that controller that's amking it bug out.

http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/

9. SprinklerGuy

Thanks for the help