Raised bed against home

Joeynuts

LawnSite Member
I have this raised flower bed against the home that I would like to redo the right way, and do it in blocks or stone instead of timbers. I'm not sure what to do around this downspout ( obviously the last person couldn't come up with a great plan either). Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

beetles

LawnSite Member
Where does that downspout make daylight? If it is piped away, it ought to be with 4-inch schedule-40 PVC and not thin landscape pipe. The bed will put pressure on the aluminum downspout, which should be relieved. Build a crib between the spout and the raised bed.

OP
J

Joeynuts

LawnSite Member
Where does that downspout make daylight? If it is piped away, it ought to be with 4-inch schedule-40 PVC and not thin landscape pipe. The bed will put pressure on the aluminum downspout, which should be relieved. Build a crib between the spout and the raised bed.
I like the idea of PVC!! I never even thought of that! What exactly is a "crib"? Thanks for your help!

beetles

LawnSite Member
If you put a 4x4 vertical on each side of the downspout (after you sort out the drainpipe) and then a stack of 4x4 s horizontal, enclosing the spout and separating it from the dirt, you would have built a crib. It is just a retaining wall, here of wood.

AGLA

LawnSite Bronze Member
That is a backwards retaining wall. Dig it out, remove the timbers and build a new one that is perpendicular to the porch a few inches in front of the downspout and siding and then turn it back running parallel to the porch. You can do it with PT timbers or modular block. You can bring it much farther out than just even with the 2' jog of the house like I show. Go the full depth of the planting bed. It will screen the gas meter as well.
fix.jpg

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
That is a backwards retaining wall. Dig it out, remove the timbers and build a new one that is perpendicular to the porch a few inches in front of the downspout and siding and then turn it back running parallel to the porch. You can do it with PT timbers or modular block. You can bring it much farther out than just even with the 2' jog of the house like I show. Go the full depth of the planting bed. It will screen the gas meter as well.
View attachment 437734
This is exactly what I envisioned, when I said to not have the bed come all the way to the corner.

Your visualization of it is excellent!

Bitches_Brew

LawnSite Senior Member
View attachment 437734
I was going to say.... it's not a good idea to have dirt piled up against the siding.