1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Raised Patio question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DupaMan, Oct 10, 2006.

1. DupaMan

DupaMan LawnSite Member
    from toronto

Hello....
    New to this site, hope someone can help...I'm in the process of building a raised patio. I need to know what is as good base for the retaining wall, because so many people have told me different things. I'll be excavating about 14-15 inches, to allow for 8-9 inch base plus one block being buried. Some have said to use crushed limestone, others 3/4" crusher run, some say 3/4" clear gravel??? seems like everyone has their own secret method of doing things, and I don't want to experiment with methods..I just want a solid patio. My blocks are 8" wide, 6" high, and 10" deep, with built in set back of 7 degrees Including the buried block , the wall will be 4 rows high, backfilled with ??? and then pavers installed. Can some one steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

a nice compacted RCA base with a thin layer of crushed bluestone for ease of leveling usually works well. there are alot more experienced folks than me on here though. maybe they will give you a better answer.

3. DupaMan

DupaMan LawnSite Member
    from toronto

RCA ? what is this? Do you use the same stuff to backfill? Is 1/4" pea gravel good for backfilling?

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You want to use modified, quarry process, road base or whatever they call it in your region for the base. It is 3/4 stone all the way down to fines. It compacts the best.

Some people use 3/4 clear stone for the base and swear by it, but i wouldn't use it in most applications.

Do not use stone dust or sand to help level the blocks. Thats one of the worse things to do. After a couple walls you will learn the tricks to get the base so perfect that you won't have to hit any blocks with a mallet to get them level. Well it takes more than just a few walls to get that good.

Matt

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member